Author Topic: spacesaver greenhouse  (Read 8457 times)

Lucho

• Not So New ...
spacesaver greenhouse
« on: March 01, 2009, 18:27:45 »
Just wondering if anyone has one of these from Norfolk Greenhouses and whether they suffered the same misery as me in trying to decipher the instructions and put the thing together in a way that it won't collapse in the first breeze...?  I've built flat pack furniture, kitchen units, sheds, etc. but this has me defeated :'(

flossy

• Hectare
Re: spacesaver greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 18:44:47 »

Think you've gone and done what we did with a ' Summer Room  ' extension from

said suppliers.   Measurements were approximent  so that had us having to suppliment  wooden

beam into the structure to miss a window frame  --  to get it water proof was a misery !

This doesn't help you I know,  but with respect to you --  send the b........ thing back ,

and tell them    " it does not do what it says on the tin "  -- traiding standards and all that !!

We moved !!        ::)

floss xxx

Hertfordshire,   south east England

Chrissie

• Half Acre
  • My cutting patch
    • RSPB Shropshire Local Group - Southern branch
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 14:27:24 »
You have my heartfelt sympathies Lucho - we bought one of these last autumn and it took two of us about a month (on and off!) to get the thing completely built and fixed. Most of that time it was standing in the dining room and we had to walk through/around it to get to the back door! As you say the instructions are less than helpful and the drawings don't make much sense - it's trial and error most of the time. Blurred printing on both sides of ONE SHEET of A4 paper is hardly adequate! Make sure you've identified all the pieces correctly as some of them are alarmingly similar and some aren't even marked. It actually makes me very angry that when you buy a "greenhouse" you're not actually buying that at all, you're buying a kit - all you get is a pile of metal bars, several hundred screws and bolts and a few pieces of glass or plastic. Trades Descriptions Act anyone?

Having said all that, now that it's up and running we're very pleased with it. (One of the many things they don't tell you in the instructions is that you can hang the door to slide either way so we changed it round.) You need to make sure it's very firmly screwed to its support (ideally a wall, not a fence) and also to the ground. We used hardwood fence posts laid out as a base.

I would also recommend a solar-powered ventilation fan on the roof as it can get extremely hot when the sun shines. Puts the price up a bit but it's worth it.

Hope you haven't given up completely. You get a lot of growing space for the price but Norfolk should definitely improve the instructions so they're comprehensible by normal people and not just those with a Masters' Degree in Civil Engineering!

Lucho

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 14:44:01 »
I now have the frame pretty much complete - I think - so now on to the task of trying to clad the exterior with floppy bits of perspex! I have a full bag of screws and some square washers so I imagine I'll try and cobble something together from these and maybe some superglue... I'll post a picture once it's complete and in situ. Good idea about the solar fan Chrissie - in its eventual location it will be in sun for most of the day.

Chrissie

• Half Acre
  • My cutting patch
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 08:48:02 »
Well done and the best of luck - look forward to your picture. When I've worked out how to do it I'll post one of mine!

Chrissie

• Half Acre
  • My cutting patch
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 23:52:21 »
Done it at last! This is when we first put it up - there are plants in it now and I've moved the door to the other side.

[img width= height=]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Md_Fmd9wm18/SbATCGuYABI/AAAAAAAAAUU/rTIjiF6SPIM/s400/001.JPG[/img]

Lucho

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 12:09:07 »
Here it is, rather belatedly, it all its glory. I played around with the construction a little once I managed to erect the basic framework and it's anchored, as suggested, using fence posts. It's given me some really usable growing space in an otherwise tight area and saved me the annual rolling pin job as the window sills are now virtually plant free  ;)
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_A4CPlLyhlPU/SfNCpzsVDaI/AAAAAAAAAAs/W6utKUK-zPs/s1600-h/new+garden+019.jpg

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 15:27:22 »
Think you may need to resize the pic- I can only see one corner!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal