Author Topic: What do you grow in Raised beds  (Read 2603 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
What do you grow in Raised beds
« on: April 22, 2009, 06:35:49 »
Raised beds are springing up at our allotments faster than the veg.  Most people say they are growing salad in them.  Can someone explain why?  They do not seem to know why they are doing this.  It seems to be fashionable.

In my home veg plot I am growing on gravel so I have some logs to build up the soil depth for runner beans.  Also logs seem to keep moisture underneath, but also habour slugs.

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
Re: What do you grow in Raised beds
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 09:08:39 »
This year will be my first full year at the allotment, i used a raised bed sytem as the plot was very overgrown with weeds and brambles. Each time i cleared an area, i built a bed. I could easly build up the bed with mushroom and normal compost as well as use the soil that i had left over from levaling the paths.

Raised beds also stop my kids from walking over prepered beds.

Neil

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 09:14:10 »
the whole idea of a raised bed is for people with kneeling issues what most people are building is a wooden surround around the soil t make easier use of digging and weeding without the need to walk on the soil after its dug to ensure the soil doesn't become compact .
this is a method of easier weeding due to not having to dig a whole plot at once as you can dig one bed in particular when you decide too and then then next if you feel like it

becomes more manageable

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 09:15:42 »
and you can grow whatever you want to just make sure you still have four main groups in order for crop rotation

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 10:10:27 »
i grow everything in my beds but i don't have a lotty just a garden plotty, with 12 raised beds the only thing i don't grow in them is spuds but that is because i don't want to tie up any of my beds with a mass amount of spuds and to reduce the risk of overwintering blight spores in the soil as i grow all my toms outside. they are only six inches off the ground built with gravel boards and i used this system because i find they are easier to keep tidy, i like the no dig/ low dig option and it looks prettier in the garden.

if i did get an allotment i would probably use a mixture of the two main types of growing veges, IE raised boxed in beds and open rows but i will cross that bridge when i get to it.

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 10:33:31 »
I got my plot in Sept and have built raised beds - for many reasons.  In mine I have over wintered garlic and broad beans, whick are doing well.  I have one bed being planted as a herb garden (Bay tree, mint varieties, thyme, Rosemary Varieties, lemon balm etc etc), on ebed planted with carrots and beetroot (coming through now), one to be sown with radish and spring onions, one dedicated to aparagus and so on.  I have 2 beds raised about a foor which will house salads and spinach etc - the aim being that the raised nature eliminates rabbits and makes it easier to net the beds.

Hope this helps.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 18:22:22 »
taters, onions, peas, squash, everything  ;D

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 23:27:17 »
Everything.  We have three beds that aren't raised. They are the beds I like the least  :( :( :( :(
The Tuscan Beaneater

naff

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 23:36:29 »
Deep/raised beds at home currently have carrots,parsnips,garlic,onions and shallots(sets),dwarf French beans and broad beans.

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 18:21:52 »
my rhubarb is not in a raised bed, everything else is

lbb

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal