Author Topic: Fruit for a South-East facing fence  (Read 921 times)

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
Fruit for a South-East facing fence
« on: April 23, 2009, 11:04:08 »
I had to remove a monstrous tangle of ivy when the neighbours replaced the fence and I now have a whole lot of extra garden ! In fact enough space for two trained fruit trees. I have a fig in a pot. Would this do well on a South-East facing fence? what about a fan trained sweet cherry? Any other ideas? I already have a plum, pear and apricot in other parts of the garden.

daileg

• Hectare
Re: Fruit for a South-East facing fence
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 11:55:12 »
what about apples they tend to grow anywhere 

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 12:33:03 »
Thanks daileg. There are no apples trees in neigbouring gardens, so I'd have to get at least 2 trees and  grow cordons. I'd prefer an espalier or fan, so it would probably have to be self fertile.  I have a damson grown from seed, but I imagine that will be too vigorous? The fence is 5 ft high and I want the trained fruit trees no higher than 7ft.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 12:35:08 »
The Damson would be too vigerous... how about an old fashioned greengage.. such as Cambridge Favourite....  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 15:39:42 »
A couple of apples, or pears on dwarfing rootstock might do nicely. As long as they were in the same pollination group (so they're in flowser at the same time) you wouldn't have to worry. Don't use a triploid like Bramley, since it can't pollinate the other tree.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal