Author Topic: Has anyone gone down the ' ancesters ' road ?  (Read 6840 times)

Justy

• Hectare
Re: Has anyone gone down the ' ancesters ' road ?
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 16:41:55 »
I have gone back to 1700's on one branch (maternal) and  I have gone back to great great grandfather on my dad's paternal side and discovered he was a parish orphan so it will be tricky to go any further.  I keep promising myself a trip up to the records office in Derby to try and get further back.  It is such an interesting pastime and a great way to spend the winter when I can't get to the lottie!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 16:57:15 »
Most Derbyshire records are in Matlock... although the local studies library in Irongate have some information...  :-\

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 16:58:54 »
iscovered he was a parish orphan so it will be tricky to go any further.

what was his name place of birth age ??
i don't belive death is the end

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 18:14:38 »

I hope you don't mind me coming back to you Ace,  feel sorry that you had a shock like that,

wonder , if you carried on the search you may find out why and if maybe it was the best for

you at the time?.   There are a few '' ooagh misses '' in my history  --  a lot a weddings

very near ' births ' ,       ;D     Hope it stops here !  ::)

floss xxx

Hertfordshire,   south east England

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 18:18:51 »
I've got back to 1024 in Cornwall with my family. As luck would have it, I bought an old book about Cornwall from a car boot and it had the story of one of my ancestors in it. He was a complete nutter (in the 19th C) who claimed, amongst other things) to be the King of Jerusalem. He led about 100 followers across the county giving them land randomly. When confronted he shot a police constable and an army lietenant before being shot himself. The authorities guarded his tomb so that his followers couldn't claim he had risen. My wife suggests that the seeds of his madness have been passed down to me, but what does she know, she's a mere commoner.

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 18:24:54 »

djbrenton,   that is something else !    What a story,  hope I find something as

exciting as that  --  dare you tell us his name ?   we may relatives ?    ;D

floss xxx
Hertfordshire,   south east England

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 19:18:03 »
Ray's dad is related to the earl of anglesey, (younger son), he can use the crest but no money  ??? ::) ;D
my brother does our research, went back a long way and foun he'd followed the rong one, my g g grandad left his wife and set up home with another woman and they gave her children his surname  ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2009, 19:26:28 »
One of my ancestors was Henry Durs Egg... gunmaker to the king. Another was Leopold Egg an artist one of his pics below
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2009, 19:30:40 »
sorry, forgot my claim to fame, my ggg? grandad invented the galvanic battery(lots of galvanis and rosarios in my dad's family)  ;D

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2009, 21:05:02 »
wow Shirlton, one of Eggs paintings was in the Tate. victorian morality paintings were something dreadful has happened. Just looked - the one I knew was "Past and Present No 1". Think they've just listened to today's budget

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2009, 21:46:43 »
One of my 2nd cousins has researched way back on one branch of my family (not easy when you are looking for Evans in Wales). He discovered that one of my great greats worked on the Holyhead ferry and was commended several times for rescuing people who had fallen overboard.  It turned out later that he was pushing them over then jumping in to rescue them coz he got a cash reward each time too!!   :o
Another one was really really wealthy and owned loads of land in North Wales and was friendly with Earl of Anglesey but then gambled it all away. :( 

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2009, 08:14:57 »
Yes - its very interesting and exciting - and adictive.  Through tracing my family history, I discovered about 10 years ago that my next door neighbour since 1972 is a fourth cousin, and also that four plot holders on my allotment site are my distant cousins.   One, whose a second cousin, I'd originally met once before when we were children - our great grand-dad would be very proud that she's got chickens on her plot as he loved his chickens which he kept on his allotment.   With two of the others, I share several time gt grandparents who married in the village of Worlingworth, Suffolk in 1802, and with the other distant cousin, our connection is around 1750.

We too have a very sad suicide - my husband's grandmother drowned herself in a well (in 1915) - she was 49 years old and about to have another child - the youngest of her other eight children was 15 years old and I think the prospect of having to cope with another baby at that age was just too much fo her to take.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2009, 09:54:17 »
what amazing stories.
I've had a poke around, but get stuck every now and then with welsh surnames, and of course the 1st son having the same name as the father, but have enjoyed a few bits of it, like the Welsh census always contained what language was spoken (welsh and english recorded) and the older names, such as Moses (never knew I was related  ;D).
The other thing I've had a look at is the street I live in now, having a look at who was living there, how many people in a house, who was lodging, what the occupations were etc - I think in someways I enjoyed that more as it gives me a sense of local history and how the area has changed over time.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2009, 10:14:49 »
We have a genealogist in the family, and so have the family tree on my father's side going back to the 1790s.  My great great great grandfather joined the New South Wales Corps and he and his wife (both from Ireland) went to Australia on the Neptune and eventually bought a couple of plots of land in Concorde (where the olympics were held).  At one time he was mayor of Concorde.

Ten years ago one of my oz cousins arranged a family get-together - all the descendents from the original John and Mary Bray - there were over 300 people.  The party was held on the original plot of land, now a nature reserve/park, which was closed for the occasion and a plaque unveiled by the current mayor.  There were seven of us from Europe, and we travelled all over the place in a large group.

We have loads of documentation and pictures of this side of the family, unfortunately nothing of my mother's side.
The Tuscan Beaneater

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2009, 19:43:41 »
One of my 2nd cousins has researched way back on one branch of my family (not easy when you are looking for Evans in Wales). He discovered that one of my great greats worked on the Holyhead ferry and was commended several times for rescuing people who had fallen overboard.  It turned out later that he was pushing them over then jumping in to rescue them coz he got a cash reward each time too!!   :o
Another one was really really wealthy and owned loads of land in North Wales and was friendly with Earl of Anglesey but then gambled it all away. :( 

OH I LIKE THAT  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2009, 20:12:17 »
My sister traced our ancestry and found that my Dad's great grandparents were German and moved to England just before the first world war, and ran a chemist shop in London under their name of Kehl. I wonder how much hassle they got from people in those days, it must have been really hard.

On my mothers side their were several generations of professional gardeners, one was head gardener at Sherborne Castle in Victorian times, and my mother still has his fork, which is needle sharp.

My sis also found out we were related to a wannabee mass murderer who went on the rampage in a suburban town in the 1980s, and managed to kill one or two people before the police got him. She googled him and found an article about how he was looking for parole. Yikes!

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2009, 20:23:55 »
I decided to give it a go after a run of funerals in the family and found the following:

Paternal grandfather had a half sister (previously unknown about!!!!!)
One of grandpa's cousins sailed on the Titanic, unfortunately I've not managed to find out his name to see if he survived.
From a common g.g.g.grandfather I've traced relatives to Oz & from a g.g.grandfather traced relatives to the USA.

On the maternal side I am related to the aviatrix Amy Johnson (which partly explains my wanderlust)

It was only supposed to be a quick thing, but the more I found the more I wanted to keep digging (forgive the pun).

I'm now looking for the long-lost relative with a lot of money & no heirs ;D

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2009, 12:10:47 »
 :) :)

All very interesting

As you may have guessed i,m addicted to it  ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2009, 18:21:53 »
found my dad's grandad changed his name on the way over from italy to miller (previously Rosario) as he was one  ;D

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2009, 19:23:55 »
A friend of mine has just started looking into her family history and when I was staying with her a few weeks back she said that her grandfather Harry didn't have a birth certificate yet he was born in the 1880's.  She knew his exact date of birth though.  I said that everyone had to be registered at that time and soon found him for her.  His mother wasn't married and Harry was given the first names of his father.  The mother did not marry the father but Harry took on the step father's surname.  We don't know whether he was legally adopted or not.  Does anyone know if adoption records were held in the 1880's and if so if they can be viewed?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal