Author Topic: re-building greenhouse...any tips?  (Read 1890 times)

Looby Loo

• Half Acre
    • Louise Jayne photography
re-building greenhouse...any tips?
« on: April 19, 2009, 09:14:13 »
Just getting ready to move my greenhouse as most of the glass blew out last year in the wind.  It was quite exposed and the wind actually twisted the greenhouse.

I propose to move it to a more sheltered part of my allotment and don't want to lose all the glass again.  Previously I screwed it to a wooden frame with legs set into the ground in concrete (which I thought would be fine). 

Does anyone have any recommendations for making it a bit more sturdy?  I can use a wooden base frame, paving slabs (which I have plenty of) or bricks.  Just can't bear the heartache of going down and gathering up the millions of pieces again.

Thanks

LL

Carls3168

• Half Acre
    • The Pellon Allotment
Re: re-building greenhouse...any tips?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 13:50:17 »
Ive got my greenhouse base made from concreate slabs, then the actual frame base on breeze-blocks (cemented to the base).
Cemented all the greenhouse base to the blocks, and touch wood everything has been fine so far (2yrs on)

Greenhouse is very exposed to the elements, but so long as the door is shut properly, and the vents had no problems!  ;)

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 20:17:39 »
1. Anchor the frame into the groung by sinking Dexion frame pieces and then putting cable ties onto the frame or wooden base.

2. Use silicon sealant to glue panes of glass to frame. Use clear sealant as this cannot be seen.

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 00:34:48 »
Use a heavier grade of agricultural glass - it's more expensive but will stand up to the wind better.
Most glass greenhouses use the light grade which is about 2.8mm thick. Ther is a heavier grade which is about 4mm thick. Talk to your local glass supplier.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal