Author Topic: I have a baby viper in a plastic container.....  (Read 9575 times)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: I have a baby viper in a plastic container.....
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 20:01:05 »
I have been bitten by an adder - nowt more than a bad wasp sting.  I am afraid that as far as I am concerned, it has as much, if not more right to be where you than you do.  Your attitude to living wildlife sickens me!!! :-X  I am with everybody else on this thread - killing it would be unforgiveable.  
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2009, 20:03:14 »
What ever you think, look up your opinions (wiki etc.)  and realise that I have to get rid of this snake.  Look on my profile at what I have rescued (£400 for then hen electric fence), then tell me that to kill one potentially dangerous snake is wrong.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2009, 20:05:31 »
I would like to keep it (dead) as reference against grass snakes and slow worms

Morals aside, it will be no use as reference once it is dead. It will lose its distinctive colouring and shrink to a dried out stick  :(

How about taking some photos of it, and show to your kids from the safety of the plastic container. Then let it go, somewhere safe - it may not be injured, just resting before it sheds its skin. Explain to your kids what type of natural habitat they like to live in, and they may be fascinated enough to look out for snakes next time they are out. Observant kids are safer than scared or ignorant kids!

I was so excited to find this adder when I was out walking last year, the first one I've ever seen!

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2009, 20:05:49 »
IT'S WRONG. END OF.
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2009, 20:06:04 »
Actually I did have a look at your previous posts when I read this one about the snake and I thought surely this can't be the same person whe has rescued Battery hens and whe seems to care so much about animals. We have visited devon and cornwall many times and have never had the priviledge of seeing an adder. If we were to be so fortunate we would just leave it to get on with its life(after admiring it of course)
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2009, 20:13:06 »
Hi cocopops ,you may have just panicked a bit because of your childrens safety.Why don't you just take it away from your home and release it.? :)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2009, 20:15:46 »
Go take a walk woman, preferably in the FRENCH COUNTRYSIDE and release the adder.  You disgust me wishing to take the life of a wild animal, even if it is a snake.  They have a right to live as well as yourself. 

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 20:46:45 »
I m going to take the easiest option and let the farmer next door do what he wants to, the nest is probably on his land. 

In the Uk people moan about immegrants not integrating and not behaving like the locals.  I will let them take the route of letting them do what is best for their farm and to hell with the opinions on here.  I do not want to be responsible for viper deaths with their cattle (it will grow up!).  The whole are is agricultural so if not their's someone else's.

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2009, 20:56:07 »
My husband has just said thet he will release the snake in woodland on his way to work.

I still have a nest near my house,  hope that they don't come to close.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2009, 21:01:35 »
In the Uk people moan about immegrants not integrating and not behaving like the locals.  I will let them take the route of letting them do what is best for their farm and to hell with the opinions on here.  I do not want to be responsible for viper deaths with their cattle (it will grow up!).  The whole are is agricultural so if not their's someone else's.
I don't
My husband has just said thet he will release the snake in woodland on his way to work.

I still have a nest near my house,  hope that they don't come to close.
Well done him!
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2009, 21:03:35 »
Well we'll all sleep better for knowing that, Cocopops.
I dare say the cattle will cope as they have done for generations.
To you husband- well done that man.
Smile, it confuses people.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2009, 21:19:55 »
Excellent  :) :) :)  Well done Cocopops and OH  :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2009, 21:58:37 »
I m going to take the easiest option and let the farmer next door do what he wants to, the nest is probably on his land. 

Looks like the farmer next door is going to take an axe to the snake!

Immigrants not integrating? That's a WHOLE new political viper's nest.

Have you let it out of it's plastic container yet?
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2009, 22:22:52 »
wow what a thread :o. growing up in the tropics surrounded by many poisenous animals snake included you learnt at a very early age not to lift stone or logs willy nilly cause you never know what might be lurking, snake, scorpion, poisenous spiders, etc educate your kids regardless of your decision they'll be safer all the more for it.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2009, 22:26:59 »
thanks thifas...you've saved me posting exactly that 8)

I was also going to add that your cat must be mighty pleased with itself and be warned! It'll be back finding another present for you :o

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2009, 22:33:54 »
Coco I can understand why it frightened you t think that there is an adder nest nearby but why would you want to keep it's dead body? That just seems wrong - you are obviously an animal lover and I think you have just panicked a bit - which is understandable - I am really pleased your OH is going to take it away and release it and that you were able to discuss the prolem on here, after all that is what this forum is all about isn't it?  Aksing for advice and opinions?  Agree with others, use it to educate the kids, take photos etc and tell them about the possible dangers.

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • http://backgardenallotmenteer.blogspot.com/
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2009, 23:00:54 »
Cocopops - grass-snakes and slow-worms don't look at all like adders, there is next to zero chance of confusion once you've looked at pictures. Note that OllieC's mother was *playing* with the snake when she was bitten. Getting rid of that one individual adder doesn't rid the whole of France of snakes - your kids would be better off knowing what they look like, and knowing not to touch or tease them - or any other snake.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2009, 08:38:19 »
In our country we have quite a few poisonous plants and fungi that could cause harm to us and animals. It's knowing about these things that keeps us safe. I'm so pleased that the snake is free again.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2009, 09:56:10 »
I don't like snakes I'm terrified of them venomous or not but they have just as much right to life as you do.
I'm pleased your husband is doing the right thing.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2009, 10:01:39 »
JUSTICE FOR THE COCOPOPS ONE!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal