Author Topic: real surprise at frost resistance  (Read 2890 times)

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
real surprise at frost resistance
« on: November 19, 2005, 13:09:30 »
Perhaps I should get some bubble wrap for the tender plants like canna's but then I say that every year!   Still to late now after all these hard frosts.  Have been amazed though thatmy favourite clematis is STILL flowering!  (Bees Jubilee) Thought I'd lost the flowers after the first frost when they were all shrivelled but nope - they've sprung back to life.

Has anyone else got some oddities like that?

Iain
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

undercarriage plan

Re: real surprise at frost resistance
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 14:47:53 »
Yes! LOL! My cup and saucer vine is still growing away quite happily, and a self seeded nasturtium is flowering it's little socks off! Box hedging is sproutingd new growth,  roses budding, but weirdest of all, I have Narcissi out and flowering bout 3 months too early....

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 15:47:47 »
Yeah, some surprises here too.  Still got Pelagoniums, Salvia 'Victoria' and Borage in flower despite a couple of frosts.   :)  Sadly though, my Cape Gooseberries have copped it.   :(

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 20:24:57 »
well Icy i have wrapped my tree fern and gunnera,s up  nice and tight in there fleece for the winter , have not done nothing to the cannas just moved the pots closer to the house . I still have a rose in bloom, and have lost no leaves yet off of my clematis, have nasturtium still growing every where but the frost has hit them a bit , even have a marsh marrygold in flower in the pond , seems plants are lasting later every year well it has been mild till the last week

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 23:40:17 »
I still have a fuchsia flowering and buds too, despite the hard frost.  Still got roses,lobelias,geraniums,vibernums,hypericums and some busy lizzies (hard up against the outside wall)  and the escallonias are still in flower too.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 23:19:08 »
Still have dahlias and fuschias doing their thing, plus cerinthe seedlings everywhere!

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 20:24:44 »
Maybe we should all get together and do a winter garden with all these flowers!  Could get an award for the colour.... ;D
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 20:36:09 »
Mine just died  :'( blessed typical when finally close to big shiney cup.. ::)

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 14:57:29 »
I also have a clematis still flowering Icy, despite quite a few hard frosts.  Mine is Rouge Cardinal.  Also still have a few roses  in bloom.  All the rest have been completely blackened by the frosts.     Virburnum and choysia still going strong and have loads of buds on my winter flowering clematis, lost the label but think it is Winter Beauty.                                   
Happy gardening all...........Pat

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 15:09:24 »
two acers still going, ones begining to lose leaves and has turned bright red, the other is just sat there, exactly liek it did during the summer!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal