Author Topic: Help! Timber for Raised beds  (Read 3271 times)

Spookyville

• Acre
  • Freezing in West Yorshire...
    • downtheplot
Help! Timber for Raised beds
« on: April 18, 2009, 18:07:36 »
After recovering from a car accident where I was forced off the road and back and starting to get the allotment sorted finally!!!

Going to be making some raised beds 8ft x 4ft and have been trying to find somewhere that sells 6" x 1" planks to make them and so far nothing :(
Even went to Arnold Lavers and they had nothing 1" - smallest was 2". Does anyone know of any particular suppliers (DIY chains, Timber/Building suppliers) that definatley stock it? Many thanks.

PS
Called the couple of local scaffolders as well but no baords avaialble so thats out the question.

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Help! Timber for Raised beds
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 18:38:28 »
Gravel boards are that size, and they come in 10' lenghths, though some on this forum  will try and put you off of using them, due to them being treated. Don't ask me why, I have never ever had a problem with them.

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 18:53:46 »
Depends how far you wanna travel or what transport you have
http://www.darnallhire.com/products/
http://www.reclaimedtimber.co.uk/index.html
Last year I phoned the reclaimers they offered scaffolding sized boards for 60p per foot,try phoning a scaffold co and ask where they buy their boards from
Gravel boards B&Q
Or try Decking boards
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 18:57:39 by Buster54 »
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 19:21:53 »
Spooky,
               Try Gravel boards I have raised beds made from them with great results, you will get them from a fencing company, :)

pjb

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 20:53:44 »
I scrounged a load of old floor boards, cost me nothing. They're not the size you asked about but have done very well for me, worth thinking about.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 21:21:03 »
when i built my beds a couple years ago i used 2m gravel boards which were 6" x 1" i got them from wickes in packs of ten (but can't remember the price) but were very reasonable at the time.

i was at B&Q a few weeks back and their gravel boards were expensive but their decking board which were the same size was relatively cheaper (sorry can't remember the exact price they were on a special at the time) and both were 3m lengths.

Spookyville

• Acre
  • Freezing in West Yorshire...
    • downtheplot
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 21:39:30 »
thnx for the replies. I noticed the decking boards at B&Q last time I was there and they were quite expensive. Didn't see any gravel boards. Have sne tout some feelers for scaffold baords, see if anything turns up. Many thanks for the replies and suggestions :)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 08:56:23 »
You will pay a lot less for gravel boards if you go to a proper timer merchant. Even the Builders Centre, Jewsons, Travis Perkis, etc can beat B&Q prices. You don't have to have an account to buy off of them.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 09:01:32 »
Just got  a choice of companies selling scaffold planks to make a huge purchase for the entire allotment site.

They do not usually sell them on account of health and safety but at the moment, it seems they are letting the good ones go, just to make some income so try your yellow pages.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 17:08:01 »
You can get second hand decking very cheaply especially if you're willing to dismantle it.  It makes lovely raised beds.

staris

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 00:47:20 »
your local timber merchant should have gravel boards, the ones i used are 16 feet long and only cost around a fiver each.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal