Author Topic: Council involvement  (Read 4620 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: Council involvement
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 16:26:06 »
They've stopped rotating on our site this year Borlotti and you must have had the letter about no carpets but most of the peeps on ours ignore this, by the way thanks  :-*  for the tip about council compost, we had ours dropped a couple of weeks ago after I told our secretary about your site getting it free, he's gone round telling everyone it was his idea to sort it, I suppose I'll let him have his moment of glory.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 17:18:34 »
What do you think about the Council compost.  Everyone rushes to collect it, and the huge mountain soon disappears. I have put some around my currant bushes and fruit trees but it does smell and not sure what they add to it to break it down.  Ask for some woodchip as find that quite good for paths, but have only got that once or twice.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2009, 10:18:43 »
You are so lucky ;D

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2009, 03:34:13 »
Well I'm with Old Bird and co with this one. If you can't stand the heat don't get a job in the kitchen.

Of course being a cheeky boy I would be chasing for some free rent for my trouble.

Light stuff, plastics etc. can be simply gathered up a bagful at a time, taken away and given back to the Council via wheelie bins, and combustibles have a habit of catching fire. Metal, when dumped outside the gate tends to migrate onto totters vans. That just leaves rocks and brick. These should be used to fill any potholes in the roadway to generally improve the site. They also make useful paths if there is enough.

No excuses, get on with it. The more you all moan and bitch about it the more the rent goes up. The average plot is worth at least 10 times what you pay so be thankful you're not bottom of a 5 year waiting list.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2009, 20:27:01 »
The compost sure does stink, I put some on my bushes and earthed up some spuds with it, the 13 tonne pile has gone all ready, except the big twiggy bits and the rubbish that is left by my lottie. :(  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 20:39:45 by cornykev »
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2009, 23:52:59 »
When I took on a similar plot the council provided me with 2 skips just for my plot alone as they knew it was in disarray.  You will probably have to clear the plot yourself.  Once you have gathered all the rubbish together, then see if your council will give you a skip.  Ensure you are there for its delivery and the committee (if you have one); should ensure nobody else uses it and fill it immediately.  (My skips were collected 3 hours later).  The reason I suggest having all your rubbish ready is that if not then everybody else will fill it. 

Be prepared to do everything on your own though,  including clearing the rubbish.  Waiting lists being as they are with allotments in great demand.... if you do not then I am sure somebody will be waiting in the wings willing to take your place.  And your council will know this too.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal