Author Topic: Health & safety, and Risk Assessment for contractors on site  (Read 3825 times)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Health & safety, and Risk Assessment for contractors on site
« on: February 19, 2009, 18:12:49 »
has anyone got experience of this?
You couldn't make it up!

Sinbad7

• Hectare
Re: Health & safety, and Risk Assessment for contractors on site
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 18:53:28 »
Tony, if you are going to employee someone to do work on the site's they would have to have their own insurance, that's part of why they are charging you what they are charging you.  It wouldn't be anything to do with the allotment site.  You just need insurance to cover your own plot holders, if they did any work.

Patrick King

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 18:54:20 »
i thought just site insurance would do. why whats up.
My plot - http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,40512.0.html
Foxes don't burrow, they only dig

Squashman

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 19:37:01 »
Hi Tonybloke
Most Councils require a risk assesment before any contractors carry out work on their sites,and that health and safety checks are in place.
If I knew what the work involved I could maybe give you so guidelines. I have had to submit these, as well as procedures of work, to my local council prior to work commencing either by plot holders or contractors. 

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 19:46:10 »
how come on my plot i advised the association of a need to support the path alongside my plot with a sturdy support . they suggested taking some railway sleepers off another disused plot .
the only thing is I'm expected to do the work my self these sleepers are an Indian hardwood and weigh a ton each there is an offer of two other plotholders to be of help I'm a little concerned of my concerns to the weight and the gentlemen who have offered there help are in there late 60-70 s as agile as they are are i think this task is a little much to ask for this help .
my question is if something goes wrong whilst doing these sleepers am i covered by insurance as i know i will struggle with is 5 sleepers need to be moved up hill approx 50-60 meters to my plot

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 18:47:28 »
You're probably not covered unless you have your own insurance. If you're moving sleepers, get a neighbour to help.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 20:27:06 »
the site has said it will get a contracter in now as they have changed ther mind instead of using sleepers will use half rounds knocked into the soil alongside the path and then a hand rail to prevent people slipping into my plot

Mrs Soup

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 23:14:51 »
I believe that the current legislation requires the contractor to carry out risk assessments and prepare method statements before undertaking any work, to show he has considered the hazards and risks to his staff and others who may be affected by the works.

As the employer I think you need to check that these exist, but not to prepare them as you are not competent to assess the risks.

Best bet is to ask for the copies of the contractor documents to forward to the council.

Hope that helps.

Joolieeee

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 12:33:20 »
As far I can work out, different insurance is required for different things:
Public Liability - what most allotments have - covers you for visitors to your site, not for allotment holders
Employers Liability - if you are doing work on behalf of your society, or are letting people use equipment such as strimmers, rotivators etc, they are then deemed to be "in your employment" and you need employers liability in case of an accident
Contractors - as in previous thread, they should have their own insurance, and this should be checked before they start any work

Hope that helps

Joolieeee
Joolieeee

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal