Author Topic: Fishing?  (Read 1015 times)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Fishing?
« on: April 15, 2009, 20:54:45 »
Now, don't laugh. I fancy having a go, maybe going to the coast (that would be Southport/Formby kinda area) and getting some mackerel or something. Never had a go at proper fishing. What would be the best way to learn? What kit would I need...is there a website which would help a beginner?

In short...Help!

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Fishing?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 21:03:42 »
Get yourself down the nearest fishing shop & say you want to try fishing... It's an even more friendly community than gardening. One of the best feelings is cooking what you've caught. Personally I don't get it when you have to put it back, but it's no more pointless than most other sports even then!

SPUDLY

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 22:46:52 »
I had i go at this once (beach casting). I think you can set yourself up quite cheaply to start with. Best advice i would give, is to find out where all the beach, or pier fishing is done in your area, get down there and talk to the people actually fishing. Like has been said, they are quite a friendly bunch and will let you know all the places to go, and the tackle shops to use. Think one of the drawbacks, unless you can dig them yourself, is the price of the bait. Having said all that, it's a great day out when the weathers good.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 23:13:11 »
Think one of the drawbacks, unless you can dig them yourself, is the price of the bait. Having said all that, it's a great day out when the weathers good.

We have just bought some rods and intend mackerel fishing, perhaps tomorrow as we are going to Swanage.  We called at a fishing tackle shop last week and were told that brightly coloured fly hooks or spinners were best for catching mackerel so no need to buy bait. 

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 08:31:08 »
The gods do not deduct from mans alloted span, the hours spent in fishing.

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 16:28:58 »
there called feathers for mackerl fishing.  :-* mmmmmm mackeral...lol

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 15:42:39 »
I didn't catch anything yesterday.  We started off on the pier at Swanage but I didn't feel anything nibbling the bait.  We then went on to Poole where we found a lovely beach with a small wooden pier.  One of the other people fishing brought in a large flounder. I looked down and could see fish about 12 inches long swimming around the wooden structure.  I also felt one nibbling my bait but it didn't get hooked. 

Unfortunately for us some youths came along and one of them decided to go for a swim.  He was larking about in the water and shouting right near to where I had seen the fish so we decided to call it a day.  A place to go back to though, perhaps midweek when it is quieter.   :-\

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal