Author Topic: Lotty Tips  (Read 2964 times)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
Lotty Tips
« on: April 21, 2009, 19:35:01 »
I would say that the majority of my lotty neighbours are good neighbours, but why is it when you have very nice looking allotments that someone that is the virtual tree hugger and comes along and puts crappy carpets down or any other rubbish thinking that they are going to save the bloody world, sorry these are allotments not a council tip, :)

GRACELAND

• Hectare
Re: Lotty Tips
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 19:44:05 »
 ???

not sure what yer trying to say ??

carpets some of us use to keep weeds down etc ??

confussed
i don't belive death is the end

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 20:02:30 »
Carpets are OK short term, but once you get on top of things they should really be removed because they can be a bigger problem long term.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 20:03:35 »
agree  they also wrap in the strimmer  ???
i don't belive death is the end

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 20:29:10 »
When we took on our allotment the previous owner used carpet and underlay as paths!! The weeds were growing through the carpet and it was a real b*****r to remove! As mentioned above short term use ok but horrendous if down for a long period of time!

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 20:30:56 »
get your  spade out and dig the plot over
DONT COVER UP....DIG IT UP!!!!!

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 21:06:16 »
I am sumising that Mr Smith is having a moan about the newcomer type that wants to just get it ready this year then he will show us how it should be done next year.

Mrs Soup

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 22:42:05 »
I have a carpet which I use for the very weedy (couch grass) areas which I want to clear next. Kills the top growth a treat so it's easy to turn over. Once the whole plot's clear it'll go to the tip.

When I was first clearing the plot, there was carpet under the grass :o. There is also carpet under the grass on some of my paths.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 22:48:41 »
That's how it should be used, just to exclude the light to make it easier to dig out the couch... but just "forget" it is there for a year and it becomes thedevil's own to get rid of it....  :-X

70fingers

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 21:52:46 »
its a real nightmare to hoover as well!!! ;D

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 22:36:19 »
A friend (yes he is a bit of a tree-hugger!) was evicted from his allotment for carpeting the whole plot. It was on a hill and you could see the pink swirly patterns from the other side of town. Wish I had taken a photo..

Agree with you about the rubbish. My plot was previously inhabited by Steptoe and Son!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 21:23:12 »
Mine was in an unbelievable state when I took it on. By the time I'd finished, I had a pile of rubbish six feet high and twenty feet across. That was after burning everything inflammable. The Council eventually removed it all in a small lorry which could get up the lane; it took nine trips.

buzzy bee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 17:49:40 »
Hi

I haven't used any carpet, but have covered half of my plot in silage sheet to help knock the couch back untill I get time to dig it, working full time and also having other commitments, means it will take me a month or two to dig it all over.  I thought covering it up with no light/water it should weaken it a little for me, it has worked a little so far, but the next few sections will be the real result hopefully!

No Carpet as I have access to an abundance of silage sheeting!  I also think when it is covered in black sheet, yet it is black and not the light coloured silage sheet) looks tidier than a load of weeds!

Cheers

Dave

THE MASTER

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 01:30:06 »
I am sumising that Mr Smith is having a moan about the newcomer type that wants to just get it ready this year then he will show us how it should be done next year.
i dont think you know how true that is
but then again carrots dont grow on trees
HE WHO DARES WINS !!!

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 02:48:58 »
i dont think you know how true that is

oh yes I do!

As for the carrots growing on trees, that's evolution for you.

Carrots growing on the ground
Eaten by  fly that cannot fly,
Carrots high up in trees abound,
the fly eluded so near the sky.

Carrots are already preparing for the transition by developing forked roots to enable them to cling to tree branches.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal