Author Topic: Little intro.  (Read 5185 times)

twang20

• Not So New ...
Little intro.
« on: February 20, 2009, 16:47:38 »
I've been browsing for a while so I thought i'd better introduce myself. My name is Aaron, I live in Norwich and im desperate to get my hands on an allotment, I've been waiting 18 months so only another 5 years or more to wait.
In the meantime i've taken up growing Chillis as a serious hobby, I started around April last year and accumilated around 30 varieties which I grew with varied success. This year I decided to go all out and start nice and early under artificial lights, I now have over 200 varieties of which I am growing around 100. I currently have 140 plants and 150 seedlings to look after which is taking up a lot of my time. But they are out of the way in the loft (my little sanctuary) so I have plenty of room to prepare the greenhouse (that im yet to accquire) and polytunnel.
I'll stop blabbering and just show you a few pics...

This is a view inside my little polytunnel last season.

I also had plants on windowsills like this Orange Habanero.

This was my initial setup in the loft. This picture is from November.

Heated propagator with 231 seeds planted.

This is around the middle of December.

New year.

End of January...Some plants reaching 2 ft and starting to produce buds, Wasnt my intention but I let them get on with it.

and here are some more recent pictures, I have moved some plants into a separate area to give them more space...

So there you have it, I'll keep you all updated as the season progresses.
 ;D

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Re: Little intro.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 17:31:39 »
That's an amazing set up. What do you do with all the plants?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 17:34:11 »
That looks great Twang, and welcome to the site.
Just be careful nobody shops you to the constabulary... growing things in the loft is a profitable "hobby" in some places... not growing chilli's though!!
 ;D

twang20

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 18:15:50 »
That's an amazing set up. What do you do with all the plants?
I am keeping around 80 plants, these will be accomidated in the polytunnel (3mx4m), the greenhouse (8ftx12ft) and windowsills at both mine and my mums house. Any that are too big to get out of the loft will stay up there.
All the remaining plants are being sold on ebay and maybe at boot sales. I have sold/given away around 50 already. I have another batch of 150 that will be ready in a few weeks. Anyone in Norwich who might want some plants are more than welcome to come and collect them free of charge.

That looks great Twang, and welcome to the site.
Just be careful nobody shops you to the constabulary... growing things in the loft is a profitable "hobby" in some places... not growing chilli's though!!
 ;D
Thats a good point, I have been keeping it quiet just incase. Even if somebody does suspect something, The police would be more than welcome to come and have a look.

Thanks for your comments guys.

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 11:47:41 »
Nice one twang. What wattage are the lights and how long do you need them on in the seedling stage.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 22:05:31 »
I don't suppose you get any greenfly in the loft.

twang20

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 19:25:27 »
Nice one twang. What wattage are the lights and how long do you need them on in the seedling stage.

The lights during seedling stage were 200w Blue CFLs. I have added 125w Red and Purple bulbs since the plants started producing buds. So in total 4x 200w, 2x 125 = 1050 watts.
With my first batch I had the timer set to come on for 18 hours. I now have my second batch in which is set for 16 hours, these are under a different light. The new prop light is 4x 55w Blue T5 tubes, so thats another 220w to add to the tally....1270w all together. Cant wait for the electricity bill. ;D

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 07:26:03 »
Looking good! wishing you bountiful harvests!

Sexki11en

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 21:42:42 »
Twang - all your plants look so healthy!  What do you do to make them look so good? 

SK x

twang20

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 21:43:20 »
Here's a belated update, plenty of growth since last time.
Twang - all your plants look so healthy!  What do you do to make them look so good? 

SK x
I dont do anything out of the ordinary really, the vigorous growth and fast development is all down to the controlled enviroment. The temps have been a constant 23-28C in the day and 15-18C at night since November, humidity stays between 40-60% and they have 16 hours of intense light a day, plus a daily two hours of air circulation (area is well ventilated anyway). I feed them weekly with chilli focus and spray fortnightly with a mixture of epsom salts and neem oil.
Here's the piccys...

C. Galapagoense- CGN 22208 (my prized specimen)

C. Praetermissum- Cumari Pollux

Other wild species, C. Lanceolatum, C. Chacoense, C. Praetermissum.

In the jungle

The big plant in the centre (if you can make it out) is Turbo Pube (C. Pubescens) in a DWC hydro system. It is now 4 months old 5 feet tall and 7 feet wide :o

This batch of plants was sown in January, Most are being sold on ebay but I cant resist keeping some as they look so healthy.
This month im starting to fill up the greenhouse and polytunnel, the rest will be grown indoors under the lights. I haven't had much success with setting fruit indoors yet, any tips?

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 21:58:44 »
Awwwww no pictures...

twang20

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 22:03:18 »
Thats weird, I can see them :-\

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 22:13:07 »
Sorry, was fooled by a slow comp., have red crosses but if I wait they load..  :-[

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 09:40:23 »
very interesting Twang20!

keep posting pics of your progress!

Sexki11en

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 19:42:34 »
He he he Twang - nothing out of the ordinary?! lol.   Well they look great.  Mine have just started germination.  Thanks again for the seeds.  I'm hoping it's not too late but i've got them warm and humid so I might just scrape through if i'm lucky.

SK x

twang20

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 22:18:05 »
They'll be fine I promise. Bet you a fiver, you'll have pods by the end of July ;)

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 08:54:33 »
Good looking plants there, You've reminded me to go out and buy epsom salts!

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 22:12:59 »
What does the epsom salts and neem oil do?

twang20

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 23:19:25 »
I use the epsom salts (magnesium sulphate) as a foliar feed and i've heard it helps with setting fruit. The Neem is an insect repellent that also prevents small flying insects from reproducing if used regularly.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal