Author Topic: Straw muclch  (Read 2210 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Straw muclch
« on: April 14, 2009, 10:02:50 »
Bit of a daft question but how do you get the straw mulches to stay where they are meant to be and not flying around your plot and probably more importantly other plots?   :-[   I water (good soaking) it down then a few days later it seems to want to go off again on its travels. It's ok on the strawb bed cos I net that, but for other beds its a pain - and shredded paper is even worse  ???

PAULW

• Acre
Re: Straw muclch
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 18:57:15 »
I use secondhand stuff from the stables and have never had a problem of it moving the pee and poo probley help it stick down.

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 07:08:33 »
1066 I use straw mulch but I dont lay it down untill the plants apear above ground (except potatoes) then I lay the straw around the base of the plants and as they grow they sort of tangle in the straw or the plants protect the straw from the wind gusts and it stays where it should.

My plots are in a very windy area and last year I used 20 bales of straw without problems.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 07:44:00 »
Thanks for that Ishard, its pretty windy here on the coast in East Sussex and I just have visions of my neighbours plots being covered with my straw. Will just have to keep an eye on it aswell eh

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal