Author Topic: Small evergreen shrub recommendation please  (Read 1864 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Small evergreen shrub recommendation please
« on: April 09, 2009, 20:09:06 »
If you only had room for one small evergreen shrub to complement a mainly purple, silver, yellow and white theme which one would you choose and why?

The site is south facing and the soil is neutral and well-drained. (I've already got Buddleia, Euonymous, Hebe, Lavender, Rosemary, Rue and Sage.)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Small evergreen shrub recommendation please
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 20:10:53 »
Skimmia? wonderful; scent early in the year berries to follow, ours are in tubs.. is that because they need acid soil? (OH does the pretty stuff)  :-\

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 20:14:48 »
Skimmia? wonderful; scent early in the year berries to follow, ours are in tubs.. is that because they need acid soil? (OH does the pretty stuff)  :-\

I've got a couple of Skimmias but they are ones that like a shady spot.  Are there others that like full sun?

Georgie
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 20:22:34 by Georgie »
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 20:16:46 »
Ours sit on the south facing patio, with the passion flower and Pomegranates... I'm sure they are the same as in our north facing border ....  :-\

Look back under non-edibles for " by the front door" to see it...
No that's no good they are the shapeless lumps at the back... by the blue car.

ber77tie

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 22:12:07 »
How about Santolina or Brachyglotis.Both have silver foliage and yellow flowers to match.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 22:54:50 »
Mahonia? lovely yellow flowers, fruit for making wine, and striking foliage for architectural accent  ;D
You couldn't make it up!

Baaaaaaaa

• Acre
  • Life's a treat for those who bleat.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 02:06:44 »
One of my favorites is Convolvulus cneorum - white bindweed like flowers, silver leaves.

or, how about Elaeagnus x ebbingei 'Limelight', or Teucrium fruticans.
Maximus, Procerus, Vegetus

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 21:15:16 »
Thanks for your suggestions folks.  So far I'm torn between the Convolvulus cneorum (which I have grown in the past and I do like) or a Myrtus communis subsp tarentina which has been on my wish list for a while.  On another board someone has suggested Viburnum davidii but I'll need some persuading before I put that in my top three!

G x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal