Author Topic: Bought a Pond - Yay!  (Read 1849 times)

Justy

• Hectare
Bought a Pond - Yay!
« on: April 05, 2009, 17:53:10 »
Bought a pond today to put on the lottie. I really wanted to find something smallthat I could recycle to use but after keep searching I confess I gave up as everything was either too deep or too big so I bought a preformed liner from the garden centre.  I am not going to have fish - I really just want it for some frogspawn and to attract other wildlife in.

Can't wait now to get digging it into the ground!

Any hints and tips for this total novice gratefully received.

Justy

• Hectare
Re: Bought a Pond - Yay!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 12:32:04 »
The dreaded Elf n Safety have struck again. Not allowed to have the pond at the lottie.  Despite never having been given any list of rules and regs (in fact when I enquired when I took on the lottie I was told there weren't any) it is apparently not allowed so I will have to take my lovely little pond back.   :'(

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 13:22:11 »
Very sorry to hear that. How ridiculous! Where's the logic? Ponds are great for wildlife and the frogs help keep slugs at bay. We have a few on our site and nobody raises any objections. We also have a couple of brooks running across the site.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 13:37:01 »
Apparently the parish council (who run the allotments) are not very green minded and one councillor is actually quite 'anti' allotments. Probably wants to build houses on them. It is only 80cm x 60cm so really tiny and to be honest no-one should be walking across my lottie to fall in it anyway!  I would happily put a little fence round it and/grill across the top.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 14:58:40 »
It probably was the possibility that a child may fall in and drown! Even though the little darlings aren't meant to be there - the little toerags still manage to be where they aren't meant to be!

Sorry to hear about that - Why don't you get a bit of strong (and I mean strong) plastic and make a bog garden which will still attract wildlife but not children!  You can stiill have it pretty wet though!

Old Bird!

;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal