Author Topic: Broad Beans and Sweet Peas  (Read 1126 times)

jordsbabe

• Half Acre
Broad Beans and Sweet Peas
« on: April 08, 2009, 21:05:04 »
Hello All Sorry i haven't been on for a while, back problem......slipped disc.......will need surgery soon  :-[

Anyway back to my query...... i have some broad beans and some sweet peas in my greenhouse and i was wondering if they would be ok to put out this weekend as i am going away next week and have no one to water them.  They are both in raised beds that are covered with bark.  Any advice welcome!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Broad Beans and Sweet Peas
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 21:20:43 »
yes they should be fine... have you been hardening them off... by showing them the great outdoors... jus so it's not a shock to them...  ;D

jordsbabe

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 21:23:01 »
Yes this last week i have been treating them to days out from 6.30am to about 5.30pm the lucky things!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 21:24:18 »
When you start taking them out to see the sights you know you're loosing it...  ;D

jordsbabe

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 21:26:03 »
Well if i couldn't plant them out this weekend they were going to come camping with me........... i think i need help!

tim_n

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 08:09:50 »
Bought some beans from the market (£1 a strip) and stuck them straight in the ground.  Lost one out of the lot straight away through decapitation.

The others looked a little sickly to start, a couple have been burnt by the wind but the rest seem to be doing well at present.

jordsbabe

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 16:08:06 »
Just a thought i've never done Broad Beans before and i have put up a tipee of canes (as you could for runner beans) but i've just suddenly had a thought will they grow up a cane or should i just use 1 can by the side of each plant? I've tried to find some pictures on google but failed. Besides 4 year old is kicking me off the computer  ???

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 16:19:23 »
They don't climb. They do tend to fall over, and you can use canes and string if you want to keep them upright.

jordsbabe

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 16:42:02 »
thanks Robert!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal