Author Topic: Basic questions about feeding plants, nitrogen vs phosphorus, etc  (Read 1638 times)

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • http://backgardenallotmenteer.blogspot.com/
This may have been answered before, if so, please point me to the relevant thread/s!

Often I see instructions to use a 'high nitrogen' or 'high phosphorus' feed. I bought a large box of Phostrogen powder - where does that come on the continuum? What's the difference between that and tomato feed? Should I get some tomato feed?

Obviously the garden centres would have you believe that you need ten different kinds - I don't want to be parted from my money unnecessarily, but don't really know what I'm doing. So, what do people advise? How many kinds of feed do you use, and how often?

I'm growing lots of salad/cooking greens, peas and beans, courgettes, and tomatoes.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: Basic questions about feeding plants, nitrogen vs phosphorus, etc
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 22:44:48 »
I'm sure TeeGee has a list of fertilizers and their uses on his site ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 12:25:59 »

I'm sure TeeGee has a list of fertilizers and their uses on his site

Thanks for that plug Tony, and yes it is here;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Fertiliser/Fertilisers.htm

ps I rarely reccommend a product by name.

I work on; because it is law to include content details on the packaging I often find that a popular expensive product may be no better than a cheaper lesser known brand.

To answer you question on Phostrogen; it is a high potash feed with an NPK of 14:10:27

As a rule of thumb; most of the fertilisers advertised on the TV as using words such as ; wonder, miracle, super etc are generally high potash feeds.

For instance Miracle grow tomato feed has an NPK of 14:14:28 Tomorite is 4:4:5.8

So you see the highest figure is the  wonder, miracle, super, ingredient!

I hope all this gives a clearer insight to the mysteries of fertilsers!

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 13:46:29 »
Tee Gee

Question what would be your recomendation for real wood pot ash in comparison with say say Miracle grow and if the real wood ask would be to be used what would the dosage be per square meter

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 14:23:48 »

Question what would be your recomendation for real wood pot ash in comparison with say say Miracle grow and if the real wood ask would be to be used what would the dosage be per square meter

We are talking two different things here i.e. soil improvement and soil fertilisation.

These are big subjects to answer so forgive me for linking you to some of my web pages, but I feel it is the simplest way to discuss the subject/s

Soil fertilisation is as shown here; http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Soil-nutrients/Soil-nutrients.htm

Soil improvers here; http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Allotments/Soil%20improvers.htm

Personally I never consider any fertilising properties in soil improvers  because the quantities can be so varied and short of doing some serious chemistry (for which I am not qualified) I just ignore this fact, and take what ever fertiliser there is in the improver as a bonus.

I prefer to use the packaged stuff with dosing instuctions for my fertilisation at least I then know there is sufficient nutrients in my soil for the needs of what I am growing, rather than; risking a defficiency by using an improver only.

Plus the fact; improvers are generally applied at a different time from fertilisers, so again I have control over my fertilising.

So to sum up; I have to say that I am sorry! but  I cannot give you a specific answer to your question.

Feel free to contact us again once you have read these two pages and possibly the related links where necessary.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 15:48:52 »
i have liberally sprinkled wood ash over the fruit soil rasberries apple plum and black currents also sprinkled over the onions i was trying to get a a example of how much would be right as you have stated there is no answer to this as the right one .

so will let you know if i have any adverse side effects to the amount i have used

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal