Author Topic: Oca  (Read 6256 times)

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: Oca
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2009, 11:59:19 »
If you scroll up to my posting of 7th Apr there is a picture of this years setup. I would regard the aspect as sunny even though it looks shady. when the photo was taken the sun had a low elevation and was shining through a nearby hawthorn tree creating early evening shade. The ridges are about 1.5 metre apart not that much wide and I planted a double staggered  row along the top.

It's still an experimental crop and variations have to be tried until the best results are obtained. My focus now is to maximise the yield per sq. metre rather than try to maximise the yield from individual plants. Also they are a small root crop that needs harvesting at the worst possible time of the year so anything that makes the process less arduous has to be of benefit.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2009, 12:13:07 »
Yes, thanks, I saw your picture. I just wasn't certain if the poly boxes were the long ones fishmongers use (so perspective could be reallywide rows! I will try some in semi shade and some in direct sun and compare. Many thanks for reply. ( I have some in pots in both aspects and more foliage on sei shade ones...hardly scientific though (not leggy growth...looks fine)
Jackie

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2009, 12:20:59 »
I'm growing mine on ridges at the end of an early potato bed, in a fairly open and sunny position. I put them straight into the ground on 19 March. One of the tubers failed to show any growth when the others did but now - several weeks later - leaves are beginning to show.  Maybe I planted it too deep. The leaves are quite attractive as edging, if appearance matters to you.
Keep Calm and Carry On

cjb02

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2009, 12:25:19 »
I do not think they are shade tolerant plants.

I grew mine in partial shade last year (behind runner beans) and they did not do very well at all. Trying again this year in full sun.

The plants for a future database suggests they cannot be grown in the shade.

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Oxalis+tuberosa

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2009, 12:33:41 »
http://www.ocatuber.co.uk/

Mentions shade tolerance? Ok, will stick to sun then
Jackie

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2009, 15:10:12 »
At the open day we have Oca, Ulluco, yacon and sweet potatoes (all under glass)  :)

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2009, 12:59:20 »
Progress report.

The three rows top right are the orange variety which seems to get growing much earlier than the others.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2009, 17:30:30 »
Mine are still in pots, but they're around that size.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2009, 22:29:36 »
Mine are still in pots, but they're around that size.

Mine aren't.... guess around 8" tall/wide for the most part and a bit smaller for the one that got mugged by a rabbit......

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2009, 00:13:56 »
Thanks all for advice, much appreciated. I have planted out like Eristics in riges in full sun. Really pleased to get them out pots into soil but after planting that and a shedload of JA's I am walking like a duck today.
Jackie

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2009, 08:44:39 »
I think mine are getting reguarly  trimmed by rabbits, found evidence on all of the plants last night ..... need to get soem wire over them ....

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2009, 21:19:40 »
Spooky Chriscross, thats exactly what we have just done tonight...quite a few of the plants nibbled
Jackie

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2009, 14:07:43 »
Just a quick word for those of you growing oca for the first time. Any time now those lovely tidy plants will collapse with the base of stems brown and often split. This is normal and nothing to worry about. From this point on the plants become much more spreading in habit making a carpet of foliage about a foot high.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2009, 23:29:58 »
Well mine are spreading out and there seems to be evidence of a lot more shoots forming on the nowq exposed lower stems... I've ringfenced mine with chickenwire and it's kept the bunnies out so far.... a combinbation of Ferromol, soot and Nemasys seems to have seen of the slugs... so what now... would sticking a couple of inches of horse manure over the bases be a good thing or a bad idea or might be worth it give it a go or what?..... Or some spare topsoil?... I'm guessing we're hoping for another 3 months out of these and I'm going to sort out a fleece top for the chickenwire over the next month or so..... as the rest of the stuff is either being harvesteds or already out it feels a bit odd to have something that's due November/early December.... the leeks, winter cabbage and brussels feel normal, but waiting for winter for a tuber/root that isn't a parsnip feels wierd :D

chrisc

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2009, 00:13:48 »
An inch or so of mulch may well be of benefit. The one thing you must not do now is dig around looking for results. There will be absolutely nothing apart from fibrous roots at this time.

The plants will produce stolons close to the surface in the gloom of late autumn and will then rapidly form tubers. Until then, wait.

Here's the state of play with mine. Most of the growth has migrated into the valleys between the ridges.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2009, 08:44:54 »
Okay, when I get back from the festival I'm at this weekend they can have an inch of mixed leafmould, horse poo and soot..... maybe some chicken pellets and bonemeal too...

chrisc

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal