Author Topic: Damsons  (Read 1837 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Damsons
« on: August 18, 2009, 22:34:49 »
Not ready yet... sorry the pic is on it's side...

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
Re: Damsons
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 23:06:56 »
We have a damson tree on the edge of the site. A couple of years ago it was laden with fruit, but the last 2 years - nothing!  :-[

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 23:09:53 »
Some can develop biennial bearing... good year/ bad year sequence and a late frost can stop all production giving a two-year gap...  fingers crossed for next year...  :)

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 07:47:25 »
I wonder if that is what happened to the trees we watch on our walks Saddad - last year the damsons were very poor but this year, they are prolific.  I have already made up one batch of jam.  Got enough for another two batches then I'll get some more to make chutney.  If there are any left  ::) I am hoping to get enough to make a batch or two of ketchup  ;D  I hate stoning the darned things though  :-X but I have now bought a cherry stoner and that makes the job much easier  ;D ;D
twinkletoes

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 09:31:30 »
I never bother stoning for jam... they float off with the scum and can be removed with a slotted spoon.  :-X

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 09:41:02 »
Last year I had a poor plum crop due to cold weather at flowering time. We didn't get any frost, but it was too cold for pollinating insects till flowering was coming to an end. This year trees are covered, partly because of mild weather at the right moment, partly, I suspect, because they had a rest last year.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 10:22:22 »
Damsons ready enough to pick? Gosh ours are still only just turning purple never mind going soft enough to be considered ripe enough to pick.
Gardening is the great leveller.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 10:32:09 »
They aren't soft yet.. end of August first week in September I reckon..  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal