Author Topic: Marking out beds  (Read 5270 times)

DaveR

• Not So New ...
    • Life on the plot - the diary of a novice allotmenteer
Marking out beds
« on: April 08, 2009, 21:46:48 »
This may be a really stupid question, but I was wondering how people mark out their beds? I don't have raised beds, and I was wondering whether people mark the edges of their beds in any way? I know if I don't, I'll probably end up trampling all over the seeds I've just planted!  ::)

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 21:54:04 by DaveR »
http://lifeontheplot.blogspot.com/ - the diary of a novice allotmenteer.

AndrewB

• Half Acre
Re: Marking out beds
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 21:53:47 »
I have raised beds now but I used to use the stripey tape used for marking off areas for safety - you get it in B&Q either yellow and black or red and white

DaveR

• Not So New ...
    • Life on the plot - the diary of a novice allotmenteer
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 21:59:47 »
I have raised beds now but I used to use the stripey tape used for marking off areas for safety - you get it in B&Q either yellow and black or red and white

That's a good idea - how do you stop it blowing away? Do you peg it down somehow, or just cover the ends of it in soil?
http://lifeontheplot.blogspot.com/ - the diary of a novice allotmenteer.

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 22:11:26 »
put a cane at the end of the row !!!

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 22:12:07 »

That's a good idea - how do you stop it blowing away? Do you peg it down somehow, or just cover the ends of it in soil?

Wrap the tape around short bamboo canes or short wooden stakes
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 23:05:02 »
I mark mine temporarily with sticks. Once the plants are up, it's obvious where they are so I don't bother. I really ought to make them more permanent.

Lottie103

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 08:00:52 »
I tie some string between sticks/canes pushed in at each end of the row. Works OK except that the dog finds it amusing to pull the sticks out to chew. A zillion & one other sticks on the plot can't be as interesting as the ones carefully selected for marking out  ::)

70fingers

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 08:22:17 »
We have used pallet wood at the end of each bed/row. The pallet wood is generally 4ft long, and we screw two bits of wood at each end to stake it into the ground. We then mark 4 rows along the edge of the board with screws. Then tie a line of string around each screw, and run it to the other end and tie it off round the screw. They are easily moved for rotorvation, and no canes popping out the ground especially if you have young children running around! There are some pictures in my gallery if you want an idea of what I am trying to explain :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 08:24:32 by 70fingers »

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 09:05:46 »
70fingers someone on our site does something very similar but it's criss-crossed - looks very smart, and logical to me. On the other hand I just use canes and any old bits of wood lying around  ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 09:11:54 »
We have several lines for marking out areas so we just leave them in until the plants are up. Most of our stuff is covered with wire netting cages anyway otherwise we wouldn't get anything off the plot if we left it uncovered. We have foxes pigeons magpies and squirrels that are just waiting for the opportunity to get at the stuff.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

tim_n

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 10:08:57 »
I have raised beds, but have never bother marking out.

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 21:34:42 »
I used to use short canes/sticks in the ground, but I'm so absent and clumsy I kept standing on them and breaking them, so now I use 6ft canes stuck in the ground (too high to poke me in the eyes) until the plants grow then I remove the canes. I tie the plant labels at eye height to the canes, saves me bending down to read them when I forget what I've sown where :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal