Author Topic: Help! fungus  (Read 1375 times)

brian4951

• Not So New ...
Help! fungus
« on: April 11, 2009, 11:47:21 »
Went over to the allotment this morning to check everything ok after the stolen shed episode and found what I think to be honey fungus growing around the the edge of my raised borders. Also some coming up under the weed suppressant around the edge of the strawberry bed. It's only come up in the last week. The area the allotments are in has been very waterlogged as it's mainly clay. When we started (from scratch last November) we had to constantly dig it over and add sharp sand and well rotted horse manure. We divided it into managable beds and built timber edging around them using new, clean timber. Is it the horse poo or something else? We don't want to start again or lose what we've planted. What can we do to get rid of it?

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Help! fungus
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 12:05:39 »
It's unlikely to be honey fungus which mainly affects trees, shrubs and 'woody' plants.

If you applied manure that's where they've come from, they're harmless mushrooms / toadstools.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 12:12:43 »
I've had toadstools all over my plot for years from the leafmould I use. It's just part of the process of decay.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 18:36:49 »
last year early May i grew morels i assume from the mushroom compost i had deliverd although some grew where non of the compost went ???. well i didn't complain hoping i get another batch this year :)

brian4951

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 20:38:10 »
Thanks for the replies, but my fungus is not like toadstools or mushrooms. It's yellowy orange and has a wavey form. As it emerges from the ground it resembles the suckers on an octopus.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 21:05:37 »
i don't think you have to worry about the fungus going after your veg i would think they would be safe as most fungi likes dead vegetation. its probably your wooden beds that are at risk but if you treated the wood they should last awhile even if under attack and if they aren't treated i doubt they'll fall apart any time soon.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 22:07:00 »
That's definitely not honey fungus then. That's an orangey-brown toadstool.

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/DisplayBlock~bid~5569~gid~~source~gallerydefault.asp

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal