Author Topic: Rant about the quality of potting compost.......  (Read 40914 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Rant about the quality of potting compost.......
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2009, 20:15:35 »
I've finally complained about the Sweet Potato slips, having lost 15/30...  :(

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2009, 20:18:10 »
 8) 8) 8).
Janet

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2009, 20:19:29 »
I've finally complained about the Sweet Potato slips, having lost 15/30...  :(

Losing half is pretty shocking, I've heard others have had a similar expereince with this years slips (and worse losses) so I'd be interested to hear of the suppliers response when it arrives.... ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #103 on: May 17, 2009, 20:29:42 »
Good on you SD. Don't forget the postage if they offer you a refund & they were all you ordered.
Janet

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2009, 12:56:02 »
Anyone tried Focus DIY's 'Payless' range of compost, in particular the multipurpose (50 litres for 2.89?). In  fit of thrift the other day and needing some compost decided to get a couple of bags of this.

The compost turned out to be very coarse and could not be used for potting up small plants, prick out seedlings or sow seed, but would be OK for large containers or hanging baskets i reckon. Luckily the latter use is what i need it for right now but i do a lot of potting on of small plants to grow on as well as seed sowing and pricking out of seedlings so would either need to sieve it to refine it or use something else. In a moment of madness yesterday i spent a couple of hours in the greenhouse sieving half a bag of the stuff! Did produce a nice compost but an awful lot of wastage, plus the time and effort spent sieving damp compost. Frankly, life is too short, so will be going back to the normal stuff next time!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal