Author Topic: how long till we get eggs?  (Read 1785 times)

luap

• Not So New ...
how long till we get eggs?
« on: March 28, 2009, 22:47:57 »
we have had 4 18ish week old girls now for 14 days still no eggs!any ideas how long?my daughter is driving me mad but i dont have a clue!!! ::)
2 plots?you greedy sod!!!!

jellied

• Not So New ...
Re: how long till we get eggs?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 08:06:15 »
A watched kettle and all that!

I think ours arrived at 20 weeks and were just short of their point of lay time. One started about a week later and then other a week after that. It's very frustrating - my daugther expected eggs that evening of their arrival.

It also depends on their breed but it's usally around 20-22 weeks. Be warned the first few eggs can be "odd" - shelless, misformed but don't worry.

One thing is for certain you will certainly here about it when they do lay for the first time - a shame mother hens don't tell their daugthers what to expect.

Peasticks

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 11:25:58 »
If they are hybrids they should lay in the next month or so, if they are pure breeds it will probably be longer (much longer in some cases)

Their combs and wattles will get redder when they are close to laying

When they crouch and dance when you put a hand above them or go to pick them up (they will crouch down stick their 'elbows' out and tippy tap with their feet) you should get eggs within the week

All hens are different and even though they are the same age they may start to lay at completely different ages

The first egg must come as a shock to the hen as all of mine had a break before laying their second!

Its worth the wait  ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 13:37:12 »
At 18 weeks, this is still early for most beeds.  Hens can start to lay 18-26 weeks depending on breed.  Cold weather, wet weather can also delay egg prduction. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

luap

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 18:43:51 »
I went out this morning to let the girls play out and found 1 broken egg,the shell felt very thin but im sure they are getting every thing they desire!!!My daughter is very excited and cant wait for the next delivery.Thanks very much for all the help ;D
paul

luap

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 17:17:11 »
Got the most fantastic egg this lunch time,it was very large and midnight the chook shouted her head off after,what a racket!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 18:12:39 »
haha yes they do like to announce the arrival of an egg sometimes  ;D!

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 17:04:19 »
OMG - yes they can make a racket!

One year on and mine aren't quite so bad!  One of them still shouts her head off occasionally - but then again - she does lay very large eggs! (ouch).

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal