Author Topic: Unheated Greenhouse  (Read 2623 times)

Teen

• Not So New ...
    • Tina's Plot
Unheated Greenhouse
« on: April 04, 2009, 21:17:35 »
Hi All

I'd love some advice if you can give it.  I have one of those half greenhouse, half shed type things and I do mainly use it for growing veggies etc.  I have a lot of seedlings in my house at the moment including tomatoes and to tell you the truth they're taking up a lot of room but I'm terrified to put them out in the shed in case I kill them.

Do you think I would be safe to put them in there?  Its very warm during the day but at night I'm guessing the opposite.  Any advice is gratefully appreciated as usual.  Still new to this side of things.
Teen

wattapain

• Half Acre
Re: Unheated Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 21:33:43 »
Hi Teen, my advice is to get yourself one of those min/max thermometers and put it in the shed/greenhouse.
Then you can see what the temperatures are like by night & day.
Also watch the weather forecasts, and you can give extra protection ie covers/fleece/bubble wrap etc.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 21:38:39 »
Mine are out in an unheated greenhouse, but under fleece at night.  :)

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 21:42:02 »
I'll probably be shouted down for this.. but as a newbie who has seedlings bl@@dy everywhere and not a lot of space... I will be buying more plug plants next year!

Teen

• Not So New ...
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 21:47:08 »
There is something slightly exciting and infuriating about growing stuff from seed.  It feels such an achievement when a little plant pops up from nothing.  I won't shout you down  :D
Teen

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 21:48:18 »
Whatever suits... if you were nearer you could buy from me or Manics at the plant sales. I have access to four greenhouses, one obscenely large but still manage to fill it before the sale with potting on...  :-X

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 21:58:05 »
I'll probably be shouted down for this.. but as a newbie who has seedlings bl@@dy everywhere and not a lot of space... I will be buying more plug plants next year!
i bet you dont! once you reap all the rewards of all your hard work i bet you have even more seedlings all over the house next year!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Teen

• Not So New ...
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 22:04:14 »
My problem is I'm not getting enough sun.  That's why I considered moving my seedlings into my shed.  I'm just afraid it could be a fatal mistake with the temperatures still dropping at night.
Teen

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 22:32:51 »
If it's a half wooden affair, it should maintain temps above freezing at this time of year, get a max / min thermometer to find out. you can fleece for extra protection at night if needed, rgds, tony ;)
You couldn't make it up!

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 22:42:53 »
Go for it, I have peppers and chillies in mine, will be putting toms in tomorrow.

I've been putting propagator lids (the cheap Wilko ones) over them at night.  :)
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 05:02:39 »
Mine were started in January and are growing fine in an unheated greenhouse on the plot. I did use fleece when it got to -5 earlier but at the moment the plants seem to be happy naked.

The protection from the wind makes a lot of difference in it's self. That can cause more harm than anything.

If it gets sunny during the day you will have to water but if it is a dull day you may not need to.

I have got some very tender plants in there too. Tomatoes, peppers and house plants cuttings.

If you are wary, keep a plant or two at home or just take the most hardy like leeks and sprouts to start with.

Teen

• Not So New ...
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 12:41:10 »
Perhaps I'll be brave and put them out.  They would get more heat and light during the day in my potting shed.  I do have those cheap wilkos lids and some fleece so perhaps I could use those if I think its going to get very cold at night.

I've got some peppers out there already and they're ok.  I guess that should be my indicator.

Thanks for all your advice.
Teen

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal