Author Topic: Pear tree  (Read 1729 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Pear tree
« on: April 11, 2009, 14:33:58 »
My pear tree is covered in blossom, I think it is its third year.  Last year the leaves curled up and I only had three pears that dropped off.  Hopefully it will fine this year.  Margaret, who is giving up her allotment due to age, has a beautiful pear tree also full of blossom.  Was going to take a photo with my new camera but the batteries wore out.  Will try again and learn how to post a picture, only had it since Christmas.  Should I have sprayed my tree before it bloomed or put a belt thing round the trunk.  Any advice gratefully received.  My brambley apple tree which is near it seems to be OK and had a few apples on it last year which were very good with the blackberries.  Trees came from Morrisons and were cheap.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Pear tree
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 18:36:28 »
Were there any grubs on the leaves? What size is it? Could it have been waterlogged? Sorry to have nothing but questions, but a bit more info would help!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 18:40:48 »
It was not waterlogged, but the leaves did not seem to have not insects on them but hard spots on the back of the leaves and if I remember rightly had gone red.  The tree is still young and has grown just over 6 foot or more.  The diseased leaves I pulled off, but I must say it does look very healthy this year, so far.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 18:55:59 »
Aphids could cause these symptoms, but you'd have spotted a really bad infestation. Hard spots on  the leaves could be blister mite http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/problem-solving/garden-pests-pear-leaf-blister-mite/ . Lack of fruit could be down to bad weather at flowering time.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 19:03:07 »
Thanks, looked that up, and hopefully I was doing the right thing by pulling the diseased leaves off and burning.  As I said the blossom is prolofic and the leaves look healthy so far this year so will just have to wait and see.  Perhas it was the weather last year or the fact the tree was only young. 

Carls3168

• Half Acre
    • The Pellon Allotment
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 19:06:20 »
No blossom on mine yet!  ???

Last year my tree had the same symptons you are describing.... no fruit and curly leaves. I was told it was due to getting frozen in a late April/May frosts?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 21:57:08 »
Could be, it was in the back of my mind. My Cambridge gage lost part of its crop to frost, then the rest rotted on the tree due to the eternal wet.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal