Author Topic: raised beds?  (Read 9155 times)

woody

• Quarter Acre
  • Unleash the heat
    • Fire Foods
Re: raised beds?
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 20:31:25 »
 i never knew why they got rid of the penny farthing bike you know, i mean it got me around and did the job...oh well it must be me stuck in my ways...And why oh why cook on a gas cooker just make yourself a fire for christ sake...

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 16:51:07 »
What is so great about digging?!   ???  If I dig my plot every year is someone going to present me with a medal? (They should do with the heavy clay I have).

I think each to their own. My neighbouring lottie holder runs rows of veg the whole 30m length of his lottie which he does by hand and good on him.  However he is retired and spends most of his life down there (hoeing mainly).  He also does nothing but moan about what hard work it is.

On the other hand I work full time and have a family too and all the pleasure goes out of having an allotment if all I ever do there is dig and weed.  My raised beds and covered pathways mean that I can easily weed just the bits that need doing and actually spend time enjoying the outdoors.

Our site has a mix of types of plot but without a doubt the raised bed method is becoming much more popular and looks great all year round too. 

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2009, 18:08:26 »
i never knew why they got rid of the penny farthing bike you know, i mean it got me around and did the job...oh well it must be me stuck in my ways...And why oh why cook on a gas cooker just make yourself a fire for christ sake...

How do you manage to stop quickly without going over the handlebars?

woody

• Quarter Acre
  • Unleash the heat
    • Fire Foods
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 18:29:03 »

Here is a pic of my bike, i used a bean stick to slow down in a controlled way, made a clatter though.

I have to admit, on the raised bed front, that we all garden in a different way, whats good for the goose, as somebody has said as long as you enjoy what you are doing, who cares what mr smith is doing with his onions :-X

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2009, 18:40:03 »
I'd like to see anyone do that on a steep hill!

luap

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2009, 21:58:07 »
i have 2 plots,1 with beds 1 with out and find they both have their advantages,beds are easier for salad crops or carrot,onion,garlic and brassicas.Spuds,pumpkins,squashes and fruit bushes go in the one without.It works for us so dont care what others think. ;)
ps also work 45 hours and walk a dog and look after my garden and chickens and wife and daughter so by no means am i lazy :P
2 plots?you greedy sod!!!!

ThomsonAS

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2009, 22:15:35 »
I think  a part of it is a fashion (no different from the fashion for long rows- but no big deal really. The main reasons I've not gone over  are:

1. I might want to change the orientation  or size of my beds
2. I don't have acess to free scaffolders' planks!
3. The posh commerical ones seem blooming expensive for what they are.

If it helps people manage their plot and get more enjoyment from it, what the heck?

Alastair

Ant

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2009, 11:23:33 »
3. The posh commerical ones seem blooming expensive for what they are.

Agreed! The prices are a joke, I always have a laugh at Harrod Horticultural. Although I have noticed in recent weeks that the prices are dropping a bit.

When we made ours we went to local sawmills and asked. Got everything cut to size for free and worked out about £8 per bed (for a 6' x 3'). The allotment is our primary hobby, don't smoke etc so am happy to spend a few quid experimenting.

Allotment folk seem resitant to change and if it was good enough for their grandfather, its good enough for them.

One of the older guys came over and had a look and likes the look of them but said "I will reserve judgement until I see your crops". Fair comment. Not instantly dismissed.  :)

However, once people see it work, then they are more likely to give it a try.

I know our plot neighbour is copying our ways for garlic.  :)

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2009, 11:33:48 »
One of my neighbours said that using wood to make beds is a bad idea because woodlice will eat all the crops.  I have made a bed surrounded with wood just to make a boudary because am still clearing the plot.

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2009, 12:07:29 »
I can't understand why some are so hostile to raised beds, it really is each to their own.  I have loads of raised beds fo many reasons, all of which I have explained elsewhere.  Please see my gallery, I am sure it will make grown men (anti raised bed men) cry!

Psi

Carls3168

• Half Acre
    • The Pellon Allotment
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2009, 12:30:26 »
Psi.... them's some d**n fancy beds you've got there!  ;D ;D ;D

woody

• Quarter Acre
  • Unleash the heat
    • Fire Foods
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2009, 12:35:12 »
Wow psi, i thought you might plant hedges and charge £1 entry ;D Looking ace, great work.

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2009, 18:10:22 »
That is beautiful Psi!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2009, 18:22:58 »
well, if you look in our gallery, you can see what the soil is like 3 months per year(more like 6 last year), oh, and being disabled, raised beds helps me grow stuff  ;D

SilverApple

• Not So New ...
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2009, 14:12:07 »
I put raised beds in my new garden, but without the wood 'cos as Lushy says, it is an ideal place for the nasties to hide and breed! 

Got the original idea from a Readers Digest manual (wonderful book of my Dad's, also told me how to test my soil type), that calls it the Chinese way of raised bed gardening, will add a before and after pic to my Gallery for anyone who'd like a peek.

Just put a mustard crop in both main raised beds as a green manure, before my main planting in May (weather permitting), spring onions in third bed last Sunday.

The only comment I have had is... Who've you buried under there then?

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2009, 14:39:12 »
My plot contains a number of beds (3m x 1m, and 3m x 1.5m pairs) and narrow pathways in between them.

I dig them over whenever they are empty as it helps me unearth all of the bind weed roots that seem to multiply very quickly!
Last season I found that I was spending most of my time chopping back the grass!  The edges of the beds would move as the grass took over, and the whole place looked messy all of the time.  I found that rather than enjoying the growing and harvesting, I was fretting over the grass.

Over the winter I managed to aquire a bulk load of 3m long gravel board from a friend who owns a fencing company.  Without his help I would never have justified the cost of the wood.  He effectively sold me the boards for £1 each,  which is a fraction on their cost in the DIY centres.  Also they were 3m long which was perfect for my beds.

Long story short, I now have most of my beds 'raised'.  By this I mean they have a six inch high wooden border around them, and will fill up over time with mulches etc.

I still plan to dig them over, but the effect of the wood is to make the whole place look tidy.

I know this shouldnt really matter, but it's great to turn up and focus on the soil rather than the untidy grass!

I have even had a number of compliments from the neighbouring plotholders - saying that my plot is 'coming along nicely'  :)

Amazing what a bit of wood can do :D
http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2009, 14:55:26 »
Wow those are some raised beds JimmyJames!

Beautiful!

Mine are dead boring and rectangular!

Are you going to put chippings,gravel or what have you in the pathways?

Garlic looking good too!

Old Bird

;D

JimmyJames

• Half Acre
  • Portsmouth, Hants
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2009, 15:14:25 »
I think you must have viewed the pics of a previous poster.  (their pics made me jealous too!!)

I have not taken a photo of my plot for ages, but I think I might take some tonight!

My bed are boring rectangles too ;)
http://www.hatchingaplot.blogspot.com/   (seemed like a good idea,  but sadly not updated for many moons!)

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2009, 15:17:01 »
haha funny thread.  I have raised beds as it is very clay - the 4" beds give me a better soil (compost, manure), which I am still working on! (and will be as long as I can garden the plot!).  Also the kids now know where to walk - i.e not on the beds!  Couch is endemic so the beds are helping with that too.

Old bird - I have some fabric and will be laying that soon and then bark chipping it all on the walk ways so the kids can zoom up and down.

This is my first year on the plot (done stuff at home before) so there will be some trial and error!  I am happy to fail toa degree if I learn as I go!  Carrots and beetroots in yesterday and next week will get spring onions and radish going.  I'll take some more pics soon - I've built a couple of salad beds since I took these pics.

Thanks for the comments.

Psi

x

BLUis

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2009, 18:07:19 »
I joined this forum today to get some advice about raised beds, but i cant believe the negative attitudes of some people! 

i have a bad back since having my son, i was also in a car accident just before Xmas so a raised bed would definitely help me out.

If anyone can give some positive advice for me, what to make them with, how to make them, I would be really grateful.  I dont want to plant a lot this year, just salad, tomatoes, strawberries (in a 3 tier planter) and perhaps carrots and onions, so the area wont be a large one. 

ps i am NOT lazy!!!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal