Author Topic: Raspberry Supports  (Read 2310 times)

Justy

• Hectare
Raspberry Supports
« on: April 04, 2009, 09:38:09 »
I have just bought some raspberry canes (Polka) from Wilkinsons for £1 each! Unfortunately they didn't have many but I managed to get 8 canes.  After looking them up I understand that they are primocane variety which I believe are the Autumn fruiting type.  I have had autumn type before and remember reading at the time that they don't need any kind of support structure.

Am i correct?!   ???  Would they benefit from support at all?  Also I seem to remember the previous ones that I had kept popping up miles from the original plant which was a bit of a nuisance.  Can I prevent that?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Raspberry Supports
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 09:41:06 »
Generally Autumn ones don't need any support unless the site is very windy. You would need a physical barrier in the soil to stop them running..  :)

If you cut the canes down in say Nov., you can reduce the chance of root rock, or give them some support and cut them down in Feb. I've just cut mine down this week  :-[
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 09:43:10 by saddad »

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 09:46:10 »
They will need supporting. Usual method is posts with wires stretched between them, .then they are tied to the wires..
Or you could put posts each corner of your rows and wrap a wire round them, so you have boxed them in   
You can sink some sort of sheeting down the side of them to stop them running .
maybe 2 foot deep, but one or 2 runners may find their way under this .
Raspberries like to roam :)
We crossed in post Sadad  :) in our area they need spporting else they get blown to the ground
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 09:53:10 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

SPUDLY

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 11:29:34 »
When you get a runner, just dig down to the root connecting the runner to the new plant. Seperate the two and you now have an extra plant. Dig the runner up and plant where you want it.

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 16:18:28 »
Thanks guys.  I like the idea of extra plants Spudly!  The path on one side of the bed is covered with weed membrane and bark so hopefully will deter the roamers.  The other side is open so will do the new plant method!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal