Author Topic: Slug control  (Read 4761 times)

naff

• Quarter Acre
Slug control
« on: April 02, 2009, 11:42:10 »
Hi folks,
               Do any of you use Nematode worms(nemasys) to control slugs?
               If so can you tell me if you thought they were a worthwhile expense.
               Our site is organic and chemical free so we are not allowed standard slug pellets and I find the
               organic approved pellets are almost useless.I think this year I,ll try the Nematodes as well as 
               some beer/yeast traps.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Slug control
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 18:32:29 »
Hiya, naff, we've used the nemaslug on our potato beds in the past, we're growing red spuds again this year, (whispers), sluggies don't like them as much, just watch, shot meself in the foot  ;D
I think saddad uses them too  :)

naff

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 20:03:19 »
Hi Manics,
               Thanks for the reply,I needed some one to tell me they,re not a waste of cash!!

Squashman

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 20:36:51 »
Hi Naff
I will be planting Mexican Marigolds between my pototo rows again this year, no slug damage last year where I did same. I tried the neom whats its the year before without to much success.

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 20:47:43 »
I tried nematodes a couple of years ago and they made no difference at all. I have had much more success with the organic slug pellets, slug-stoppa or just bran and crushed egg shells which they won't crawl over.

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 19:44:30 »
Hi I used them one year after being absolutely plagued with the d**n things.
I have to say that I was very pleased with them, and though they suggest you repeat them a few weeks later ( well, they would, wouldn't they!) I never did . But things were better after that, And I did have a few last year, but nowhere near as bad.
So i would say that they worked well for me.

Terri

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 19:29:24 »
Naff - they do work but need to be applied every 6 weeks and have to be applied in the wet so they soak into the topsoil.  As they are biological results can vary and I think are less likely to work effectively on a heavy clay soil like mine :(
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 18:34:58 »
Yes, I use them every year, especially on pots where the slugs attack underground. they're brill and work a treat, I use twice, omnce now and once in early sept. Good luck.

naff

• Quarter Acre
Re: Slug control-Update
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 23:30:05 »
Well after 2 applications of Nemaslug I can say that it seems to work.It certainly clears the slugs from the soil, straight into my cabbages and cauliflowers!! A total waste of money. Does anyone know where I can buy a small thermonuclear device?

amphibian

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 12:23:30 »
crushed egg shells which they won't crawl over.

Does this really work? If you keep snails as pets you have to give them egg shell for calcium, they happily crawl all over the sharp edged and eat them. Snails and slugs can traverse the edge of a razor blade without hurting themselves.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 12:44:10 »
Does this really work?

My observations over the years indicate that nothing will stop them. Even moats have limited success. There is a breed of slug out there that knows to climb a tall blade of grass until its weight bends the stalk over the obstacle or to climb aboard a floating leaf on the windward side of the pond and sail over to the food. Learn to live with them, they are not going away.

amphibian

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 13:13:04 »
Does this really work?

My observations over the years indicate that nothing will stop them. Even moats have limited success. There is a breed of slug out there that knows to climb a tall blade of grass until its weight bends the stalk over the obstacle or to climb aboard a floating leaf on the windward side of the pond and sail over to the food. Learn to live with them, they are not going away.

My feelings exactly. Last year I stood my squash seedlings on bricks in the middle of  tray of salted water. On the third day I found three adult snails on my 'safe' island.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 07:04:58 »
Are slugs intelligent?  Presume they have a sense of smell can seek out food from a distance.

I have had a honeymoon down at the lotties with no slugs, but they have now arrived.  Opened my compost bin and it was caked in them. 

In some ways they are useful for clearing up the rubbish. 

I have noticed that some plants are more slug resistant than others.  Grew some Kale last year from T&M and some from Heritige Seed library about 5 inches apart.  Slugs completely removed all of the T&M plants but left the other totally untouched.

Also grew Magda and Clarita courgettes, everything about these is very similar.  I began to wonder if they were the same thing with different names.  But the slugs could certainly tell the difference and did everything to remove Madga from the scene.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 07:54:33 »
I've long believed they have learnt to abseil...  :-X

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 10:06:16 »
How about...

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/plant-guard-electric-slug-fence/F/C/garden/C/garden-repellents-insecticides/product/51188

Would protect one 10x4'6" ft bed. Actually at half price I'm quite tempted - if nothing else it would be a talking point for allotment neighbours:  dark mutterings of "more money than sense" etc  :)  )

Olivia G

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 11:57:03 »
I would recommend Slug Fence to anyone i met, you can get it from www.Primrose-London.co.uk and protects your garden from slugs and snails. For the cheap price you can get the best results!  :D

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 13:12:30 »
Last year i used Steveuk's technique with potatoes and put sections of rhubarb in with each seed potato and i didn't get any slug damage. this year I very stupidly didn't do that and the slugs have built cosy cottages out of my new potatoes!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 14:59:25 »
I've used Nemasys this year and see very little slug damage if anythign.... if only they did one for rabbits.... see the odd snail, but the few blue pellets I've used have had very little in the way of slugs caught....

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 17:00:22 »
if only they did one for rabbits....

I know someone who swears by Grazers, although I haven't tried the stuff myself.  ;)

THE MASTER

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 01:06:34 »
there is only one real slug control and that is .... and im suprised no one has mention the little critters yet

its the hedgehog
but then again a hedghog that has feasted on snails and slugs leaves realy sticky poo all over the place . but on the plus side poo is good for the ground

HE WHO DARES WINS !!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal