Author Topic: Advice needed again (sorry about this)  (Read 2092 times)

sparklebug

• Not So New ...
Advice needed again (sorry about this)
« on: April 03, 2009, 19:00:19 »
Although i sent off my form to the council straight after viewing and the site secretary gave me a key I'm still unsure if i should work on my plot.  The reason i say this is because apparently the previous plot holder gave the plot to a friend but the site secretary and council haven't received any forms from them and that is why the plot was available (the site secretary told me this)

My dilemma is, should i work on the plot and plant my onion sets and potatoes or should i wait for official confirmation.  I'm just a bit worried that the previous plot holder's friend will turn up or the that the plot really isn't mine.

I tried phoning the council today but they've got a silly rule that tenants can't be put through to the department but the switchboard sent an email and they will contact me.  I also sent them an email today but to say that the woman in charge isn't very efficient is an understatement, suffice to say that i haven't heard from them at all.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
Re: Advice needed again (sorry about this)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 19:13:48 »
Wait until you have it in writing that it's yours.   It really would be silly to start working on the plot and planting things only to find that there's then a problem.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

sparklebug

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 19:18:04 »
thanks flighty, that's what i'll do.  It's strange but i've never had such a strong urge to do something (and no naughty talk please) ;D but since i visited both plots i just want to get digging and planting.  I'm now thinking allotments have some sort of magical powers lol

x

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 19:23:19 »
I can see the sense in Flighty's advise.

I would be inclined to get digging and sowing on the basis that once you are working a plot, it's much harder to move you on rather than not working and giving the impression that you are not that interested.

If you are able to get to the council buildings, I would recommend that you turn up Monday morning and hand in another set of forms, with payment - I think they have forgotten who is serving who!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 19:24:27 »
Well surely the site secretary would not give you a key and say this is your plot if that is not the case.

Did the sec tell you to wait,sign for it or anything? :)

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 19:26:43 »
It makes sense as I've known people do just that and then have problems!
Spend the time planning and reading up on what you're going to do.
Have fun plotting when you do get started, and yes I'm sure that you're right about there being something magical!
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 19:29:00 »
start sowing seeds at home, my letter only took a week to come! Get to know you neighbours on site, don't know if I'd clear anything just in case( born pessimist) :)

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 20:29:12 »
I'd get in there ASAP, if you have the key. If the queue-jumper hasnt got their form in on time, then its their tough luck!

They may throw you off, but its going to be harder to do this if you have already started. I wouldnt start sowing things or making permanent changes yet, but if there are weedy areas, put down some weed membrane to cover them up.

Buy some cheapo pot plants to brighten it up, erect some bean wigwams, maybe some bamboo edging (99p a metre in our 99p shop!). Wouldnt bother with major digging but you could give a couple of patches a superficial going-over to make it look like youve done loads of work. And if they still throw you off you can take your bits and bobs away with you, and can lay a big guilt-trip on them which hopefully will get you an even better plot next time!

..and get something in writing from the council ASAP, if you can get to their offices (ours are 'online' now..)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 20:31:04 by lewic »

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 20:30:18 »
If you have paid and have got a receipt then the plot is yours.

If not, it is not yours.

sparklebug

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 23:05:04 »
Hi, thanks for all your advice, i'm going to wait until monday and get back in touch with the council.  Unfortunately if i went to the council offices no one will see me as we have to go through a call centre!

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • http://backgardenallotmenteer.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 00:14:48 »
Lewic's crafty advice seems excellent - some high-visibility, low-effort work to 'baggsy' the space... :D

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 02:58:46 »
Having a receipt for the money paid just means that the Council would be obligated to refund the payment if the plot was assigned in error. Having the tenancy agreement on the other hand means both parties are obligated to comply with all clauses within.

I would be inclined to put in a presence at the site as mentioned above but without the paperwork, and the threat of complications, do not do too much.

THE MASTER

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 03:25:25 »
is there a waiting list on your site
if so then moral isues come into play

i can understand a plot getting pased down through the family, but to pass on a plot to just a friend is wrong . that is just simply jumping the waiting list . im site sect for ashford ave and thats the way it gonna be like it or lump it

having a key does not entittle you to have a plot on any allotment.
get the paper work sorted then get digging

HE WHO DARES WINS !!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 11:21:19 »
I very much doubt whether a friend, rather then a family member, would have any right to inherit a plot, and a private agreement would have no legal standing. See the council people, and if there's any doubt, insist on seeing the rules. Meanwhile, I'd turn up, make my presence felt, and do just enough to stake a claim.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 11:50:53 »
I would wait for confirmation in writing, in my part of the world people will pass on allotments to friends but they will still be the registered allotment keeper with the council but with  the friend paying the rent to the registered keeper, :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 12:05:18 »
This is why I said check the rules; it isn't allowed in Birmingham, and has caused problems on my site. This doesn't sound like that situation though. If the plot has been offered to Sparklebug, then the tenant has to have given it up.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal