Author Topic: Broken Zip  (Read 2238 times)

elhuerto

• Acre
Broken Zip
« on: April 04, 2009, 20:47:26 »
We bought a plastic "greenhouse" off ebay 3 years ago - it's blown away a few times but has given us pretty good service for a 70 euro outlay and we've always been able to patch it up. I think this will be its last year but we need it to last just one more month. The zip has finally gone leaving a flapping door and we've got possible frost forecast for Tuesday night.

Has anyone had any success with emergency repairs? We were thinking cutting the door off completely and super gluing some plastic over the space at the top so it rolls down and we can fix it to the floor. Does anyone have a brighter idea?

The "greenhouse" measures about 1.5m wide, 2.5m long and 2m high. The zipped door is one of those that runs about 80cm horizontally, 1m70 vertically and a semi circle at the top if you know what I mean. It's full of tomato, melon, water melon, cucumber and sweetcorn seedlings, I'd hate to move or lose them.

Cheers in advance for any suggestions.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Broken Zip
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 21:40:12 »
If the zip itself has gone could you use small safty pins to hold it "together" and a drop down strip of fleece on the inside?  :-\

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 21:56:17 »
Yep, that's probably a better idea - cheers . We were going to stick velcro round the sides but for a couple of possible cold nights and plastic hanging on by a thread I think we were getting carried away.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 21:57:39 »
The advatage of the internal drop down is it is less likely to get displaced by wind  :)

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 05:04:22 »
You can replace the zip with velcro. Glue it on with super glue.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal