Author Topic: Compost heap flooring  (Read 1820 times)

elhuerto

• Acre
Compost heap flooring
« on: April 06, 2009, 12:18:45 »
Stating a new compost heap and I have the choice of using a large space next to the shed which is concreted and walls on two sides or an uncleared weed bed which could be cleared and have pallets set up. Any advantage of one location over the other? The climate is pretty dry here so I assume it'd be better to keep it covered with black plastic to retain humidity, right?

Cheers!
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
Re: Compost heap flooring
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 12:32:51 »
I am sure someone who is more experienced will be along to give some advice in  bit. But if its any help I always locate my compost heaps onto earth to allow the worms and bugs easy access into the heap. So from your two choices I would go for the unclared weed bad, as long as no perennials in there which could take advantage of all the nice food you would now be feeding them.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 13:46:02 »
I put compost heaps straight on top of weeds, perennial or otherwise, as the best way of suffocating them. Was saying this to a neighbour recently as she watched me digging out the lovely crumbly 2 yr old compost from one, and she agreed with surprise that there was no sign of couch or nettle roots inside it, although nearby area is infested with them. I would feel it a waste of time to clear an area before putting compost on it, but maybe others disagree?

If any perennial roots do occasionally turn up in the compost it is very easy to pull them out.

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 14:37:27 »
my sire is couch infested so I have ceared an area of couch and will use garden fabric as well before siting the heaps - I am just paranoid the couch will 'infect' the compost!  I am sure worms etc will find their way in regardless - I will manually put them in if necessary.

Psi

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 14:47:04 »
Either or in my opinion.

If you choose the area next to the shed don't let the compost come in contact with the shed or else it will rot the shed.

Using pallets will let more air into the compost the wall won't. Compost will rot better if air gets into it and is unlikely to turn into a sodden gunge.

Someone mentioned the worms this is a point but even if you sit it on the concrete worms will find there way in.

The concrete appeals to me when moving the compost it would make the removal just that bit easier.

I have slight leanings to the pallets so in the end I would go for the most convenient.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 16:03:18 »
we put thick cardboard on the bottom of our heaps, kills the weeds and rots down by the time the compost is ready  ;D

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 10:26:07 »
Thanks very much for the replies, I think we'll be starting it off on the concreted floor but if all goes well we'll use the weeded area next to it for additional compost bays.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 08:25:38 »
Thanks very much for the replies, I think we'll be starting it off on the concreted floor but if all goes well we'll use the weeded area next to it for additional compost bays.

what about starting the heap on the weedy patch then when its compost turning time you can put it into the concreted bay to finish cooking. also by then it would be full of worms and any weed roots that got dug up when you were turning the pile will rot down as well.

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 09:46:34 »
That's a cracking idea, best of both worlds - thanks!

tim_n

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 10:07:58 »
as it rots 'down' don't worry, it shrinks.

never turned my compost.  I pile it up and up and up then during the next growing season I skim the stuff of the top, dig out the stuff I need, put the old stuff back on the top and carry on feeding the beast.

Get lovely compost then.  Always amazed when I lift it.  The top usually has couch growing in it, but by the time I've got the next load on top, it's long gone and rotted.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 08:51:50 »
That's a cracking idea, best of both worlds - thanks!

glad to oblige :)

as it rots 'down' don't worry, it shrinks.

never turned my compost.  I pile it up and up and up then during the next growing season I skim the stuff of the top, dig out the stuff I need, put the old stuff back on the top and carry on feeding the beast.

Get lovely compost then.  Always amazed when I lift it.  The top usually has couch growing in it, but by the time I've got the next load on top, it's long gone and rotted.

yes i must admit to not turn my piles either but i do have two main bays one for filling and one for using when the using side has been emptied of its contents normally by mid July i take all of the contents from the fulling side and transfer to the using side to finish cooking (only because this side is easier to a access for removals later on) so compost in essence only gets a turn by default once a year so to speak :).

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal