Author Topic: Who repairs sheds?  (Read 1729 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Who repairs sheds?
« on: March 29, 2009, 14:35:32 »
At our A.G.M. this morning someone brought up the question about who is responsible for the repair of sheds and lock-ups on our site.  (We are self-managed, and run by a committee.)

It was agreed that a shed/lockup should be given in good condition to new tenants, but that existing tenants should repair their own sheds.

What happens on other sites? We have almost 100 sheds/lock-ups on the site and some of them are not in very good condition.

The Council lets us keep 60% of the rent we take, of which half is for maintenance and the other half for general expenses (I think)

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Who repairs sheds?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 15:24:57 »
As a private site, members are responsible for their own sheds here...  :-\

SPUDLY

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 17:01:33 »
Its the same on our site, council run, but we are left to get on with it. Some people take on a plot which already has a shed, left by the previous tennent. But most start off with an empty plot and add their own. Whatever happens we are responsible for our own repairs.

Peasticks

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 21:36:52 »
Unless the sheds were supplied by the council and come with the plots as a fixture (ie not left by the last person who bought their own to the plot) I would guess that you would be responsible

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 22:10:15 »
Plotholders are responsible for their own sheds. Some are immaculate, some, like mine, are falling down.

Mrs Soup

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 22:06:20 »
Plot holders are responsible for the structures on their plots. The site rules say they should be structurally sound and new sheds should be approved by the committee. We have some brick sheds in a very sorry state, which plot holders may take on at their own expense - changing locks, fixing doors/roofs etc.

We are self managed, and only charge what we pass on to the council in rent, which is under £1 a perch, so it doesn't seem unreasonable for people to look after their own sheds.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 06:13:06 »
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Some of the plotholders have put up their own sheds on their plots, these are not a problem - it's the lock-ups in blocks that are.  I suppose many people think of them as being owned by the Council and that the Council should keep them in good repair. 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal