Author Topic: PSB not doing what its meant to  (Read 3819 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
PSB not doing what its meant to
« on: March 30, 2009, 09:40:20 »
Hi
I've been reading threads on cooking PSB and I'm jealous and now confused. People seem to have PSB ready to eat, same on some of the plots on my site but mine are doing practically nothing.
I bought some plug plants in early autumn, hadn't got round to sowing the seeds, they are Cardinal and I got the from Wyevale (I know I know). It said on the label " Good flavour" "Easy to grow" "delicious shoots".
Well after being in the ground for months they have reached the heady heights of about 6" to 10" high  ???   :'(
What can I do?
Could I give them a feed of something to boost growth?
Should I give up, compost them, go to the veggie shop and buy some and plan on sowing my own properly later in the year?
Thanks 1066

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
Re: PSB not doing what its meant to
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 10:18:45 »
Sorry 1066, no help from me :-\ I planted mine in september as plug plants and they are doing excellent.

Neil

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 10:29:16 »
Not familiar with "cardinal" thought it was a summer type... so it could be sulking. All my PSB plants end up 2-3 foot tall... and are just starting...  :-\

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 11:12:13 »
Mine's just starting, but a lot depends on the variety.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 11:19:38 »
My own plants, sown last spring, are producing well at the moment, but round about September I made the mistake of buying some small plants from a garden centre to share with my daughter. All these plants are still tiny, like yours. The most we are hoping for is tender little shoots to use as spring greens, then we'll pull them out.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 13:49:51 »
Thanks for the replies - maybe it is a late variety, just done a search and it seems that way. Checked the label that the plants came with and it says harvest time is "Spring"  - which could mean anytime time now till May  ???
Oh well, I'll just have to practice patience  ::) and remember to sow my own at the right time of year ....

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 17:13:49 »
Not sure where you are 1066 but given how dry it's been they might need a good water and feed. Our soil dries out fairly rapidly and the PSB seemed to perk up after some watering and some maxicrop.

luap

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 17:25:02 »
have you used any dodgy manure,ours was the same but we sowed 2 lots 1 with manure 1 with compost,the 1 with compost is fine ???
2 plots?you greedy sod!!!!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 17:34:00 »
WSB is our staple diet Feb-May. WAS!!

What the caterpillars left last year, & the snow this year, we have about 10 battered plants out of 40 feet.

And the Savoys have gone 'blousy'.

Ah, well - grateful for small mercies?

little pud

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 18:02:56 »
bit fick here, wotz psb?

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 18:22:46 »
Purple sprouting broccoli.  I am a bit thick too, so will ask this question.  If I leave my psb will it grow like the broccoli one can buy in supermarket, or do I pick the small sprouting bits.  The pigeons have landed on the nets so only have a few side shoots that we have been eating, but am wondering if I left it to recover would I get the big purple heads.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 18:36:51 »
No - yes!

Pick it young - like on my plate. And keep picking.It can grow bigger than that but never to Calabrese size.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 18:47:58 »
Thanks again for the suggestions.
Am in Hastings and we haven't had much rain this last couple of weeks only a few showers, and what with the wind the soil can dry out very quickly (still haven't mastered mulching!!!), and I've just googled Maxicrop and see that its a seaweed based feed so I'll see whats in my shed and if not maybe buy some, feeding it (I presume) can only do some good.
hadn't thouht about the manure thing, the bed was manured previously but I don't think its a prob
I'll give them a stern talking too and a bit longer to see if there's any more progress - otherwise it will have to be the great compost bin for them    :o

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 18:50:05 »
Thanks Tim, that is what I have been doing and have managed to get enough for two most nights mixed with some everlasting spinach, which the pigeons also seem to like, but hopefully they will find something else to eat soon!!!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 19:07:12 »
I've only just started cropping mine in the last few weeks, early Rudolph I think it was.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 21:38:45 »
I doubt that plug plants in autumn have any chance to grow into mature plants ready to harvest now. I grow mine from seed sown about mid April to early May, grow on and plant in a nursery row to transplant to final quarters in August/Sept.

Mine will hopefully start producing this weekend and continue for about 6 weeks. Some varieties start production much earlier but the care is the same.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 07:18:48 »
I doubt that plug plants in autumn have any chance to grow into mature plants ready to harvest now. I grow mine from seed sown about mid April to early May, grow on and plant in a nursery row to transplant to final quarters in August/Sept.

:o 
Aaaaaaggggggghhhhhhhhh
 :'(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal