Author Topic: AVG 8 --FREE  (Read 3613 times)

pntalbot

• Half Acre
AVG 8 --FREE
« on: February 15, 2009, 19:09:02 »
Having trouble loading AVG8 Free version. Tried `3`different sites to Download,they download ok, but won`t Install,get Error saying ---Local Machine-failed installation--error action failed for file avgdix.sys:starting service--error Ox80070014
Any ideas please have emailed AVG support--only get an automated email return saying I probably haven`t registered,but reading thro`it says no Registration reqired for Free version AVG8
Thanking You Pete

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
Re: AVG 8 --FREE
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 19:13:08 »
If I have any probs with AVG I always ring them.

However,my version is paid for.Did have the free version but decided I wanted that little bit more.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

pntalbot

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 19:20:47 »
Fork,
Thanks for reply but could you tell me,  their UK tele number, its now 19.20 hrs so I will ring them in the morning, but does this Support only apply to Paid versions ? ?
Thanks Pete

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 20:22:07 »
had a bit of trouble with the free e-mail scanner on this , think it wanted me to upgrade to the paid one. I kept trying to upgrade the free one and it worked in the end.
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 20:41:43 »
We had similar, it was because I had other Security programs running at the same time as I was installing AVG. Try turning every other program off and then Install.
Gardening is the great leveller.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 21:56:14 »
Agree with Palustris, could be conflict issues.
Got rid of a virus protection prog. on a netbook I bought for my wife for crimbo that they wanted £40 to renew (only 2 months old).
Downloaded the free AVG issue fine. One thing to note is - it takes 1.25hrs. to scan!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

greenfists

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 00:41:12 »
 :)
Try AVIRA free.
I had issues with AVG and doing what you described.
AVIRA is often rated very highly in finding viruses etc and its free.
Find it here.
http://www.free-av.com/en/trialpay_download/1/avira_antivir_personal__free_antivirus.html
If you haven't got green fingers then use your fists.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 07:56:09 »
Agree this is probably a conflict with other security software. I work in IT and most of this software causes more problems than its worth (anyone remember Norton Crash-guard?). Sometimes less is more.

AVG used to be a good product but it now comes with loads of extras like antispyware, firewall, link scanner (that irritating popup that floats over the links you have searched) and its own toolbar. If you already have IE/Firefox phishing filter, Windows defender and Windows Firewall turned on, any extras will only slow the PC down, and potentially cause conflicts.

I would uninstall it, and install Avast or Avira. Disable or uninstall other security software and toolbars first. 

If you really want to reinstall AVG you may need to go into the registry and remove entries for AVG to get it to install properly.

These programs are useful for getting rid of partly uninstalled programs and cleaning up the registry:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
www.ccleaner.com

SPUDLY

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 17:38:59 »
Have to agree with Lewic,

I have Norton installed on my laptop. Only got 30 days left so looked at AVG and decided to download it. I could not get on with this at all. Like has been said it takes ages to scan your computer, also slowed it down quite a bit. Another thing it did was a pop up warning on nearly every web site i opened saying that it had found a tracking cookie (very annoying). I have now downloaded Avast which seems ok at the moment.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 15:27:23 »
Thank you!

(It pays to look at previous postings 8))

You've described my friend's PC problems exactly, as she told me this morning...she had to uninstall AVG & was asking if I knew an alternative, so I came here to ask...

The rest is history!

AVAST! Onwards and Upwards!

(or Avira..I see she's got a choice..)

Cheers!

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 15:29:27 by Hyacinth »

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 23:49:34 »
Last month I bought a new PC and decided to install AVG 8.

Tried downloading it from several sites before I got one that would install. I think WWW.AVG.COM was the successful download. Definitely turn any other firewall/anti virus stuff of first and have nothing else running when installing.

But I have now un-installed it.

Despite telling to only look for an update once a month, only scan at 4am, and do a fast scan, everytime I switched the PC on, it would start performing a database upgrade (?). This would kill the PC for about 15 mins - just what you want when you've just switched on.

Then, after about an hour, any time of day it would start its scan. Now I've had one or two virus' in my time, not none of them killed my PC as much as AVG did - AVG would consume 75-90% of the CPU continuously; internet was virtually unusable, it would take several minutes to load an A4a page.

Music on Windows Media Player, became un-listenable - you'd get 5 seconds each time, and it was like a needle stuck in a grove, it would play the same 5 seconds, time and time again, until you scream.

AVG said my machine was clean, I'll reinstall it once a month and scan, then uninstall it.

I think you DO have to pay before you get any support. The E-mail support link requires your license number before it will send.  :(
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 00:14:01 by Pesky Wabbit »

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 16:26:30 »
It generates a license number when you install it.
If you click on help, about avg it will display the number.

Pink Fingers

• Quarter Acre
  • That's the pot planted, now for the veg ...
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 12:29:00 »
I already have AVG and don't seem to have had too many problems with it.  Couple of days ago I received the message to upgrade to 8.5.  This I duly did without any problems - or so I thought.  Obviously I took my eye off the ball and clicked 'next' without checking what I was doing.  I now have it installed, but all in German.  Pretty sure I had some nasty warning message yesterday - but had no idea what.

Recommendations please - should I uninstall and install something else (but that needs to be really easy as I'm rubbish with anything other than screens or keyboards.)
???

Alternatively do I need to attend night school to learn German?
 :-\

pamsdish

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 17:55:22 »
I had McCaffee free from sky it wasnt bad but when the free trial ran out i loaded AVG and my comp slowed to a snail pace  >:(, so i tried Avira as suggested above and also the windows cleaner and i am flying   ;D

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 18:21:37 »
i thought id ad a little i was promted today to update to AVG 8.5 but instead i will be removing from My PC as it doesn't agree with my VISTA and slows the PC down considerable  try malwarebytes free software updates regularly as well

Pink Fingers

• Quarter Acre
  • That's the pot planted, now for the veg ...
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 22:48:06 »
OK - I've found the site for the malwarebytes downloads - big project for the weekend is to complete this little task. 

I take if I have to take AVG off before I start downloading?
 :-\

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal