Author Topic: I took the full allotment  (Read 1143 times)

sparklebug

• Not So New ...
I took the full allotment
« on: March 26, 2009, 23:10:38 »
And i'm really happy, although i was told it was overgrown and needed clearing the site manager actually had it cleared so i've got a pristine allotment that just needs a dig over and the beds marked out etc.

The only downside is two bigish trees have to be removed but he's going to get that done within two weeks (hopefully).

I'm going to take some photo's tomorrow as it was p*ddling down and we were getting drenched and will post them tomorrow night.

Can anyone recommend a good allotment book to read (before bedtime lol).  My local library is useless so i will have to buy one

Thanks

xx

elvis2003

• Hectare
Re: I took the full allotment
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 23:56:26 »
huge congrats on your new plot and welcome to the site! how lovely that you got it cleared for you,hope youll soon be planting! we tried lots of books but soon found the best advice to be had was here,and from other lovely plot holders only too willing to share their many years of experience,funny now,as 2 years on we are now in the position to be giving advice our selves,still learning though,which is the joy of it,ya never stop learning,enjoy and keep us posted with your progress!
good luck
rach
x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 00:52:01 »
 sparklebug 
just a thought but you know you can get your little library to order your books from your county library

oh and well done on the plot

lbb

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 06:53:43 »
Hi SP. Enjoy your plot. We were recommended to get the Hessayon book on growing veg & herbs. Our plot manager & several on this site suggested it. You can get it new & used at amazon quite cheaply. Another book is the RHS book of gardening techniques, to heavy for bedtime but a good book, £10. at book people but cheaper if WH Smith have any left. Fellow plot holders are a min of info as they know what grows well on your site but it nice to have some info.
HTH.
Janet

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 07:47:07 »
How have they cleared it? Strimmed/ploughed/rotovated? Nice to have them take the worst down but there will still be some nasties lurking...  :-X

sparklebug

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 09:49:17 »
thanks for the replies, i now wished i had a laptop so i could read this forum in bed lol.  I was reading the back threads for over 2 hours yesterday  :)

Saddad from what the manager was saying it's been cleared by a digger  :o but it's got the top soil and no sub soil was visable *phew* (unlike two other plots were it was clearly visable).  Apparently the council digger driver wasn't too clever as these two plots weren't meant to be dug over as one had potatoes in and the other a poor bloke spent hours digging manure in the day before!)

xx

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal