Author Topic: Broad beans, can they tolerate shade?  (Read 2600 times)

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • http://backgardenallotmenteer.blogspot.com/
Broad beans, can they tolerate shade?
« on: April 04, 2009, 16:40:27 »
I just planted out the first of my broad bean plants and my Golden Sweet mange tout peas. I put the peas at the sunnier end of the bed, and the broad beans where they're getting quite a bit of shade from the fence. Have I done it the wrong way round? Will they do OK? They'll get direct sunlight when the sun is high in summer, but at the moment, they'll be mostly shaded by the fence.
First time with beans and peas, don't really know what I'm doing... :D

elvis2003

• Hectare
Re: Broad beans, can they tolerate shade?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 22:30:30 »
im not too sure,but wanted to post a reply ! i reckon try it,see what happens,and let us know! good luck x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • http://backgardenallotmenteer.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 23:31:15 »
I'm afraid my planting 'plan' is very random. Basically, as soon as I get a bed dug, I fill it with whatever needs to go out next! I decided it was better that than nowt, since I'm starting from scratch. A rational planting plan would have been nice in theory, but unachievable in practice! I'm still digging my way through the couch grass, yet.

I'll have to wait till the winter to dig up the concrete path which occupies the prime south-facing strip of garden, as I didn't have time to do that before the growing season this year. At which point, everything will swap round again. :)

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 23:36:13 »
do you know,everyone told us to draw up a planting plan and we did about a hundred different ones sitting round the kitchen table with a bottle of wine or five,and we didnt stick to it AT ALL,found we just shoved stuff in as and when things were ready,but trying to group things from the same family together and it worked.sounds like you are doing the same and im  sure itll work for you just the same! although,as this is our second year,we do know where we gonna put it all
good luck!
rach
x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 11:18:58 »
They are OK with semi shade - at worst they won't be as productive as usual and if that is the case, consider them as 'green manure' ;D ;D  They are great for the compost bin and they will still fix nitrogen in the soil.

Did I manage to turn a negative into a positive? ;D ;D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 11:22:36 »
Its all down to pollinators and as even with the best conditions it can get quite dark (dull) and the bees will find them.

What might happen is the might become a bit extended/drawn but this shouldn't affect the harvest.

That my opinion for what it is worth!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal