Author Topic: Pup eating cat poo!!!  (Read 3365 times)

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Pup eating cat poo!!!
« on: September 10, 2004, 14:10:43 »
Yes it's me again!!

My daughter's pup has started to eat her flatmate's cat poo! Disgusting BLEGH!! She wants to know how to stop it and I haven't a clue. Anybody got any ideas?

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
Re:Pup eating cat poo!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 15:01:07 »
Eileen, this is not uncommon in dogs - one of mine does this if he gets to the cats litter tray before I do :o

Both of them have always grabbed at anything disgusting they can get their teeth into when out on walks.  I read in the Dog World newspaper an article by someone whose dog does this sort of thing.  She apparently gave him a couple of small pieces of pineapple (the tinned type either rings or pieces) and this apparently cured him of the habit.  I thought I would try this on my dogs and strangely enough since giving them the pineapple I have not noticed them going for this type of thing.  Don't know whether it would work on the pup, but it is worth a try (if he will take the pineapple that is) - my two can't get enough of it (the pineapple that is ;D)

I know it is a disgusting subject but this particularly works if a dog eats its own faeces - yuk :o  Apparently there is something in the pineapple which makes it taste foul.

Pat
Happy gardening all...........Pat

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 15:20:31 »
Oh Pat THANKYOU!!!!

I'll let Laura know. :) What a disgusting habit to have!!!  >:( They've tried everything with her and nothing was working.
I'll let you know if the pineapple sorts the problem out.

Eileen.

P.S. Pat I've just 'phoned Laura and she's going to give it a go.  ;D When does she give Trix the pineapple though - first thing in the morning or what?
Sorry to be a pain.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 15:39:44 by eileen »

EILEEN.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 16:00:03 »
I wonder if it's the same for dogs as it is with horses - Horses eat horse poo when they feel they are lacking a certain vitamin or mineral. Maybe there's something in the cat poo/pineapple the pup needs?
gone to pot :D

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 16:22:18 »
That's what I was thinking too Aqui.
Just let's hope it works as it's one thing that really turns my stomoch - even the thought of it makes me queasy. The pup has a habit of liking faces too - NOT MINE SHE DOESN'T she can keep her little poo eating mouth away from me!!!!!!

I've seen horses (and cattle) eat other's poo too and I know that they've stopped once a vitimin and mineral supplement is added to their feed  - thank goodness. I'm glad I'm not lacking in any vitimins or minerals that's all I can say.  :o Fingers crossed for Laura's pup.

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 16:25:30 »
Can't puppies get Parvo/Distemper from faeces? ??? The little puppy we are looking after has to remain at home a week after his last injection and must not make contact with other peeps who own dogs/cats.
Just like to add that I know nothing about puppy care and these were the instructions left for us to adhere to by the owner.

Roy. :)

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 16:58:11 »
Eileen, I don't think there is a set time for giving the pineapple - I just gave mine when I opened the tin for evening meal.  They love it.  As it seems to work, I give them a piece every time we have pineapple but the article in the paper said that the dog stopped the habit after just giving a couple of small pieces.  I am afraid this is a habit which is quite common in dogs - especially gun dogs like mine!  Some people say that it is a food deficiency, but I think that most of the complete foods nowadays contain all the vitamins and minerals that a dog needs.  Mind you, having said that I think that puppies may require extra supplements for building strong teeth and bones etc but no doubt the vet would advise on that.  Good luck with the pineapple - I hope it works - but if it doesn't don't shoot me, I am only the messenger ;) :D

Pat

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004, 18:15:16 »
Hi Roy and Pat,

Roy Parvo can be picked up from faeces but Laura's pup is now around 6 and 1/2 to seven months old and has had all her injections so there should be no problems in that respect thank goodness.

Pat - don't worry if it doesn't work well at least she'll have given it a try.

I know that some animals will eat faeces if there is something lacking in their diet but this little one seems to be getting everything she needs according to the vet. That's why I was a bit stumped. She's 'phoned her flatmate and Amanda has gone off to the shops to buy a couple of tins of pineapples!!

Watch this space for the next installment!!  :D

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2004, 20:00:36 »
Eileen, I can recall my pal's collie (a working farm dog) crunching up dried cowpats. It never touched the steaming cowpats, just the frisbee kind! I asked her why she thought it did this (it was obviously well fed and had a lovely coat) and she said it had ALWAYS done this, and it had never done it any harm. However, a dried cowpat is very different to stinky cat poo!

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2004, 20:27:54 »
Exactly Spurdie!!!  ::)

I can think of more revolting things but not many!!!! :(

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2004, 20:32:38 »
Our Guinea Pigs regularly eat their own poo, apparently it is something they do .................bleah!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Pixie

• Acre
  • Chorlton the magical happiness dragon
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2004, 08:57:45 »
I have read a simular report ref pinapple and poo and mentioned it to the vet who was not happy.

Apparently the pineapple is fine on its own but when combined with the animal eating poo it triggers a reaction which gives the dog a temperature and makes it feel unwell - hence it wont eat poo again.

Sam
"Jump in, we'll take you for a spin, and show you round the Wheelie World..."

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2004, 09:14:48 »
I can only judge from my own experience Pixie and say that my animals did not appear to have had any adverse reaction to the pineapple - maybe the dog who had a temperature was fed too much pineapple - only a couple of small pieces should be given.

jo2

• Quarter Acre
  • I hate couch grass
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2004, 09:26:42 »
Hate to tell you this folks but the pineapple is not going to work in this case as the pineapple must be eaten by the animal producing the poop that is being eaten-not the one doing the eating! There is no way your'll get pineapple down a  cat!

What does work is buying a covered litter tray and turning it to face the wall so the entrance is close to the wall-then the cat can squeeze in but the gap is too small for the dog-put something heavy on top of the tray lid to stop the dog shoving it away from the wall. Argos do them, they are quite cheap and don't smell as bad as normal open trays.
Alternatly if the dog is too small for that trick put the litter tray on a raised surface such as a table that the cat can jump up to but the dog can't.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2004, 10:54:35 »
Don't like to disagree with you jo2, but my animals do not eat their own poo, just other animals and it seems to have worked for them and also the dog in the article in the paper.  The idea is that after eating the pineapple the dog does not have an appetite for the poo so in effect the pineapple and the poo should not mix in the dog's stomach causing ill effects.

Having said all this, it is just a matter of trial and error - what works for one may not work for another.  The same thing applies to the magnetic collars or bracelets.  I have used these on two of my dogs and also the bracelet for myself and  can honestly say that they have made a tremendous difference to myself and my animals, yet some people say they have made no difference at all.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal