Author Topic: Cottage Garden Plants Wanted  (Read 2160 times)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Cottage Garden Plants Wanted
« on: September 10, 2004, 16:38:56 »
I am creating a new border and have decided to cram it full of cottage garden type plants. I have colllected/bought some seeds, cuttings and bulbs already. But I am still on the look out for suggestions and ideas of different plants.

I have a few seeds available to swap but am also hoping to find some suggestions of what I might try so if you don't see anything you want to swap I will still be interested to hear your suggestions of plants I might try.

The border will be against a south facing wall about 3 - 4 foot wide by 12 foot long (so not a huge amount of space for large plants), getting shade early morning and late afternoon and the soil is a well drained but humus rich soil, originally clay but with loads of manure, grit and topsoil added.

Here's what seeds I have available to swap if anyone is interested.

Peas - Ambassador - about 100 seeds - Mr Fothergill's sow by 2005Turnip - Snowball - average 1750 seeds, I've used a few - T&M bought this year
Onion - Overwintering Buffalo F1 Hybrid - 100 seeds (pack unopened) sow by Aug 2005 T&M
Cabbage April (Spring) - T&M - used a few seeds from pack bought this year
Protea Cynaroides - 5 seeds with smoke paper and instructions
Protea Burchellii - 5 seeds with smoke paper and instructions
Foxgloves - wild from garden collected this year
Primula - yellow flowers, think Candelabra, from garden collected this year
Swiss Chard - about 100 seeds - T&M - sow by Aug 2006
Agapanthus - a few seeds but don't know variety
Aquilegia Granny's Bonnet - about 25 seeds
Shasta Daisy Alaska - about 15 seeds
Canna Indica (Indian Shot Canna Lilly) - 10 seeds

Oh and I also have some homemade soap leftover from the last batch if anyone is interested for a swap ...
beeswax and honey - 2 bars
sunflower and calendula petal - will be ready in 4 weeks

PS - I've already got alliums, verbena bonariesis, sweet peas, lavender, an assortment of poppies, agapanthus, foxgloves
« Last Edit: October 09, 2004, 20:28:42 by Jesseveve »
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:Cottage Garden Plants Wanted
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 16:42:38 »
Have a look at my big long list posted in this forum. I have loads of cottage garden type things.

I'm interested in your Primula, foxgloves and agapanthus... let me know if you want to swap for anything.
gone to pot :D

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 16:57:59 »
Aqui, had a look at your thread, would love to swap for Borage, Echinacea Purpurea, Hollyhocks and Ox-eye Daisies. If you send me a PM I'll get it all sent to you and return the PM with my address. The Agapanthus seeds are still drying on the plant so they will follow in a few weeks.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2004, 09:21:26 »
I've added a few updates. I am now particularly looking for ornamental grass seeds (small to medium sized ones) and Acanthus seeds, but will still consider anything that I don't already have.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 23:47:20 »
Pretty certain I can sort you out 2 different acanthus's.  PM me your addy and I will get my seed box out and talk to mum as hers is in full and glorious bloom!  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal