Author Topic: just got our first allottment  (Read 1955 times)

lushy86

• Hectare
just got our first allottment
« on: March 15, 2009, 18:13:19 »
Hi, just been to have a look at our first allottment today - am so excited.  It has a shed and a coule of other structures.  It has not had anything done to it for a long time.  The chap next to us suggested we get a mini digger in - which we can get hold of cheaply.  He said to dig down a couple of feet.  We had planned to rotivate and cover with membrane then uncover a small bit at a time, maybe just growing some spuds and beans this year but I don't think we are at the rotivating stage yet.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Make mine a large one!

flossy

• Hectare
Re: just got our first allottment
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 18:22:39 »

Hi lushy86,  and welcome,

So pleased for you , it's a wonderful exciting time while you make your plans,  don't be in too

much of a rush, have a good look  around and see what is already growing, it can indicate

what type of soil you have and what you need to do -- to grow the crops you want.

There are many experienced and knowledgable people here who will have answers to all

your questions.

Have fun and enjoy,

floss xxx
Hertfordshire,   south east England

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 18:26:57 »
Welcome to the mad mad world of the allotment holder ;D id clear the top with the digger so that you have good soil that will be relatively free of perennial weeds and then plant spuds i did this but i plowed mine with a tractor it was this time of year and then i just when mad and planted everything i wanted to grow with very good results but it was a long hard summer of constant weeding but it was worth it in the end but just because this worked for me dosnt mean it will give the results that you want, you will get a lot of pointers and suggestions from many many knowledgeable people on the forum just pick the suggestions that suits you and away you go. ;)
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

skintnbitter

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 18:29:58 »
Welcome to A4A, i was in the same boat as you this time last year. I just clear a section and put in some spuds, beetroot and beans last year, then spent the rest of my time removing the weeds my hand / spade etc as rotavating can chop up the weeds and spread them about.

I spent most of last year digging and clearing and like you suggested covering the ground. I now have nearly a third of my plot weed free, to which i have plans for this year. I am going to start clearing the second section of my plot this year while keeping on top of the weeds (fingures crossed) from the section i cleared last year.

Yes you have guessed it, next year i will clear the rest of the plot and hopefully all the time and effort to clear the weeds by hand so to speak will pay off in the long run.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 18:32:11 »
Welcome to the site Lushy...  ;D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 18:42:31 »
He said to dig down a couple of feet.

This depends upon how deep your topsoil is.

If you go below the topsoil layer you will fetch up sub soil which is not a good thing.

I would dig two or three trial holes over the plot to find the average depth of topsoil then take it from there!

This link might help you; http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Allotments/Introduction.htm

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 18:44:28 »

Follow Tee Gee, he'll put you on the right road.     ;D
Hertfordshire,   south east England

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 18:48:46 »
Hiya, lushy, nice to meet you  ;D
you never know, if you look around, you might have rhubarb, raspberries and blackcurrants..good luck, whatever you decide  :)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 19:53:33 »
Welcome to the site, Lushy. Must say I thought the same as TeeGee about digging that deep.
Let us know how you get on and whereabouts in the country you are so people in the same area can give you local advice- and because we're nosey!

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 20:06:29 »
Wow you lot are so friendly! Thank you so much for your welcome and advice. :)

Our patch is in Shoreham by Sea in West Sussex.  I think we'll have a go with the digger but not too deep, maybe use it to scrape the top,  turn it over and level it.  Will let you know how we get on and will no doubt keep bugging you all for advice!  :D
Make mine a large one!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 20:34:35 »
Don't forget the before and after photo's so we and you can see what you have achieved..  :)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 20:38:34 »
Welcome to the site.  It will be your haven when the weather turns and you start having withdrawl symptoms because you can't get to the plot ;D ;D
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

greenfinger

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 20:43:06 »
I'm so glad for you!

we just got a letter from the council and we got half a plot in letchworth!
within a day we had the plastic greenhouse put together again and lots of sala, tomatoes and fennel sowed!

I shared your excitment!!! ;D

lushy86

• Hectare
Re: just got our first allottment - COUCH COUCH EVERYWHERE
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 21:26:55 »

Well I wanted to download some pics of our first day but a - can't work out how to do it and b - only got a couple that OH took coz can't find my download lead!

We spent the day strimming clearing and roughly digging a small bed for seed spuds.  One neighbour said it was not enough as so much couch grass and another said didn't even need to dig just use a spud putter inner thing and the spuds would do the work - hmmm

Met some fab folk though all lovely.  AND found rhubarb in one of the sheds - more like a little covered bed really - TOTAL JOY and we have a damson tree.  There are blackberries to train round the edge though dug lots up that were all over the plot.  A neighbour gave us some early raspberries.   :) :)

So how well do we need to clear for the spuds? 
Ground is not compacted and soil looks good, the chap who had it before worked it for years before he got ill so think we can rotivate and cover as originally planned but really want to get spuds and onions in at least.

Lushy x  ;D
Make mine a large one!

iain j

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 10:51:04 »
Welcome lushy, this is a brilliant site, not got my lottie yet but I am on the waiting list we have 2 sites
Iain j

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 22:15:34 »

Hope you get one soon Ian, good luck

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

THE MASTER

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 01:58:50 »
the hard work is in the first year . clearing the plot and getting it under control . ive had mine for a year now and yes it was bloody hard work to start with i covered mine with plastick as soon as i got it

get incontrol of the weeds first or you will be weeding forever
fortunatly i have use of a rotovator

and the start of growing last year in justa few months hard work

this year all ive goota do is turn a bit of soil over and wait for the frost to go away. and ile be planting away  ;D
HE WHO DARES WINS !!!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 16:07:22 »
Hi Lush, roughly dug will do for the spuds dig some trenches and throw your spuds in, just taking out a few weeds as you go. Take more time with the next bed if your growing onions and so on, don't rotovate until you have weeded other wise the weeds will be coming up tenfold.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal