Author Topic: Old multi-purpose compost - use on allotment?  (Read 2205 times)

fireflydigger

• Not So New ...
Old multi-purpose compost - use on allotment?
« on: March 23, 2009, 12:56:40 »
We've just taken over an allotment and are digging it over as fast as we can (it's covered with grass, weeds, couch grass,...). I've just found a couple of unopened bags of New Horizons organic peat-free multi-purpose compost that we got two years ago for pots in the back garden - we ordered far too much by mistake and haven't used it all. Can I put it on the allotment? I read somewhere that old compost can be infested with something (wireworms?) in greater numbers because it's old - is that likely to be a problem? This stuff was bought in summer 2006 or 2007 I think. As the bags haven't been opened would they be OK? Would they do some good on the allotment? I want to plant some potatoes in one bit next weekend and so far all I've done is dig and of course I've no idea what the previous plotholder has ever put on it. I can't really get hold of any manure easily (no car) and we haven't got a compost bin so this compost from the garage is all I've got really!

Edited to add: am a complete newbie to all this as you can probably tell!

Old bird

• Hectare
Re: Old multi-purpose compost - use on allotment?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 14:31:39 »
Hi Fireflydigger

I would use it if I were you!  I am sure there are many more pests in your earth than you will have stored in your two bags of compost!

Good luck with it - can't you see if anyone else is wanting to get compost/manure and team up with them to get it delivered?

Old Bird

:D

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 15:21:17 »
Go ahead and use it. If for nothing else to bulk up soil.

If you are timid about it, simply put it on to your own compost heap. Add some horsey poo poo and a few bits of vegetation, an egg shell or three and slop it all about a bit. Then leave to produce some new compost.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 15:51:15 »
hiya, fireflydigger, welcome to the site  ;D

fireflydigger

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 16:03:25 »
Thanks for the replies and the welcome  ;D. I will try to do a proper intro soon! But it's been a busy three weeks as we've only just got this allotment and as you can imagine we've got a lot to do fast!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 16:06:50 »
Spread it out on top of the ground and let the birds pick it over for a few days. Then dig it in.

fireflydigger

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 18:21:27 »
Good luck with it - can't you see if anyone else is wanting to get compost/manure and team up with them to get it delivered?

Old Bird

:D

Meant to reply to this - yes I'm sure we could get manure eventually but I'm thinking more of what I can get in the next week before the potatoes go in. Not much time left!

We'll have our own compost eventually too but of course that takes time to build up.

Weed-Digga

• Half Acre
  • Slough, BERKS
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 18:55:09 »
Hi and welcome to the home of helpful advice!
Where abouts are you?

Weed-Digga
If it's Rosie's allotment - how come Muggins here does so much digging?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 19:10:47 »
Welcome to the site Firefly...  ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 22:13:58 »
Can I put it on the allotment? I read somewhere that old compost can be infested with something (wireworms?) in greater numbers because it's old - is that likely to be a problem?

If all used and old compost is infested then so is half my plot.  All my spent compost from pots and tubs is spread over my plot or put in my compost bin at the end of its use.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal