Author Topic: Organic?  (Read 865 times)

littlebabybird

• Hectare
Organic?
« on: March 21, 2009, 00:28:58 »
If i use pelleted chicken manure on my plot as a fertiliser it is organic but
if the chckens arent organic it wont be will it?

how far down the chain must i go?

lbb

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Organic?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 06:42:42 »
Why ever did you use them then? If you really want to be organic, surely your own compost heap is all you should need.
I do not bother with using buzz words and going along with fads. If the crops taste good and I do not have any issues with the fertilisers/pesticides/herbicides I use, I am happy. It must take the fun out of gardening if you have to question every action you take.

Growing your own is healthy enough for me. As for chicken sh!t. I used to let mine run over spare bits of ground. Their droppings would be everywhere and dug in after. I don't know what was in the meal I gave them, There could have been all sorts of additives. But hey, I'm still here.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 10:11:05 »
Guess it's up to you- unless you want soil association accreditation! ;D

I like to think my plot is organic, and I use those pellets- hadn't really thought further back down the chain.

70fingers

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 11:13:51 »
In agreement here, I think that by the fact you have thought about it and are free to make an informed choice is all that you can really do here.

We too like to think our plots are organic, we use chicken pellets but most of our seeds are not "organic".  The beauty of this is that we are able to question our sources and go as far down the chain as you feel comfortable with.

It is fun this growing your own veg lark, and careful considered approach to the ethics of this subject should be no more or less of value to any other issue in our lives.

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 18:47:57 »
Why ever did you use them then?

I havent even bought them yet, thats why i'm asking

half  my plot is deffinately not organic thanks to some aminopyralid   :'(

lbb

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal