Author Topic: guinea pigs  (Read 1795 times)

debster

• Hectare
guinea pigs
« on: March 20, 2009, 11:15:45 »
does anyone keep guinea pigs, i adore them and have decided im going to get myself a couple, not kept them for at least 10 years and i know advice on animals changes so any advice gratefully received
thanks
debs

Bert

Re: guinea pigs
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 11:45:23 »
Yeah, i have a gorgeous chocolate brown guinea pig-( Mr.T !) and he's a great little fella.Not sure what you want to know ? Don't get two males as they 'will' fight, don't get a rabbit and guinea pig as i did, as the rabbit keeps trying to erm, 'procreate' with the guinea pig which is not much fun for him,erm, what else to tell-you'll need basics, hutch, hay,sawdust, bowl,water bottle, food, mineral block and that's it ! Mine likes to play with those balls you get for kittens, and he likes his cardboard tube (middle of giant cracker !) to hide in.Don't feed him lettuce, not good for tummy i'm told, and that's my knowledge on guinea pigs exhausted i think !!!! Enjoy ! x

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 11:50:13 »
brilliant what do you feed him as a main food dry stuff i mean, they eat loads of fruit and veg from a list i can see so with me growing veg they wont go hungry, thanks for the idea of the tube im looking forward to having them i love the way they chatter away lol ;D

Bert

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 11:57:16 »
I get him a dry food from Tescos for about 3 quid which lasts ages (purple packet !).I give them dry food in the morning, then some fresh fruit or veg later on-the fresh stuff 'always' goes, the dry brown kibbly bits remain-funny that !
-and i know what you mean about the noises, kind of a 'wheek-wheek' affair i'd say ! Tres cute !!!!

timnsal

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 13:52:43 »
My four boys squabbled a bit while they got the pecking order sorted out, but they seem to be ok now. I've kept males together before with no problem - but they have all come from the same place and been together. The most aggressive one I've had was a female, and it used to blockade the others in the sleeping area.

Wilkos do a good dry food - the friend who supplied our guineas reckons it's very similar to gerty, which is a very good. Mine didn't like the pets at home stuff, picked out the ok bits and left the rest.
They love to graze, so if you can give them a  grass run, they will be happy. It will need moving frequently!
Also good for disposing of peelings (not keen on potato or parsnip though) and outer leaves of cabbages etc. The first time our white one had beetroot, one of the kids rushed in panicking that the guinea pigs had been fighting.

If you're googling, a search for 'cavies' comes up with more info than 'guinea pigs'. :)

Sally

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 14:00:28 »
guinea pig babys are just the cutest things ever
lbb

timnsal

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 17:28:08 »
Oh yes, nearly forgot. You have to make sure the dry food is specifically for guinea pigs and has vitamin C added, and use it within a few months, so the vitamin doesn't break down.

Sally

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 18:09:34 »
well went to a couple of pet shops then decided on the little girls we wanted and ended up with three!
my step children are here this weekend and they are smitten there was 3 of us all sat cuddling one each

timnsal

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 18:17:34 »
Sounds familiar ;D

What colours are they?

Just a thought - pet shops often don't give them very much fresh food, so introduce it gradually if they're not used to it.

Enjoy your piggies :)

Sally

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 18:36:03 »
I get him a dry food from Tescos for about 3 quid which lasts ages (purple packet !) i know what you mean about the noises, kind of a 'wheek-wheek' affair i'd say ! Tres cute !!!!
Yours must be foreign - mine go Wheep Wheep! ;D
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 19:00:35 »
Welcome to the site Bert... I had GP's when I was a lad in the mid 70's...  :)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 19:13:11 »
Hi Debs. If you want any advice on  Guinea pigs, go to the Rabbits United forum. There are so many rabbits and Pigs looking for homes and I am sure they will be able to help you..I got both my rabbits from them.They will bring them to you as well. They do a home check first just to make sure that you are legit. They also give you all the advice you ever need. I was surprised how very complex rabbits were. I only discovered this thru  their site.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 19:15:28 by shirlton »
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 19:27:57 »
I've had GPs for years & think they are wonderful. There should be more than one as they live in groups in the wild. My eldest is 7 in july, she is the only one left from her group. I got 3 rescued ones a year ago as I didn't want Babe to be on her own (Babe as in talking pig) she in very noisy, wheeee wheeee wheeee every time the gate is opened into the garden. The lady I got  mine from said to put a soluble vit c tablet in the water bottle. They have Gerty  food & lots of veg. They live in a hen coop so lots of room in the run. I put a seed bed in a corner with newspaper & sawdust in it & they use it as a litter tray. I put the hay & newpaper in the composter but not the woodshavings.
Janet

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 19:57:59 »
well i kow it is quick and we only really went for a look but ended up coming home not with 2 but 3! hubby decided we needed a third, still at least they will keep each other warm and company. they are currently in their new house and i have a run for them to go on the grass too, im sorry but im gonna subject you to pictures too here goes they are called, Bonnie (as she is chocolate coloured, short for Bournville, and Cheryl (cos hubby loves Cheryl Cole) and Ellie[attachment=1]

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 21:20:57 »
We have 2 male guinea pigs and 2 rabbits, separate cages.  One guinea handles well, the other scratches the h#ll out of you when it is held.  OH keeps them in the conservatory over winter and outdoors in summer.  They are cleaned out weekly (OH job as I wouldn't bother with them).  Kids and wife love so I was out voted.  Then again she does not bother with the hens... so guess we are evens ;D ;D ;D
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 22:35:52 »
Aw they are sweet !!
I run guinea pig rescue down here and had over 90 in over winter !
Piggies need hay, dry food (wagg crunch is great), fresh veggies but NEVER lawn mower cuttings !
Piggies hate drafts or wet and cold, make sure the grass is dry before you put them out as they catch chills and cold quick and can catch cold of humans.
Watch out for mites, if they start the scratch they need treatment you can get a spot on treatment for small numbers or the vet will charge you a fortune.
Piggies dont make or store vit 'c' that is why they must have veggies, watch acidic fruit like apples as they have a weak membrane on their mouths which can burn.
Piggies can be bathed and i do mine twice a year with a gentle pet shampoo, make sure they are bone dry before putting them back inthere hutch.
If you need any help just shout  :)

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 22:53:16 »
The lady I got  mine from said to put a soluble vit c tablet in the water bottle.

We've had GPs for a few years and never done this, but our vet went to a conference the other week and was told that most health problems for GPs can be avoided by using soluble vitamin C tablets. So he has been recommending that to everyone now.

It's worth trying them on stuff from the garden - ours love dandelions, for example, and are also very keen on a lot of herbs, especially lemon balm & mint.

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 00:14:24 »
Most piggie food has added vit c and the fresh veggies will boost it, in all the years i have had piggies i have never given a supplement, if you really want to try 'abidec' its mainly for children.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 08:41:23 »
i did purchase some vitamin drops from the pet shop so they are having that in their water, their food is guinea pig food and i intend to make sure they get lots of fruit and veg.
my only question is should i limit how much fruit and veg they get whilst they are little, one is 12 weeks 2 are 9.
went out to check them this morning had left them with some fresh food in their dish (not too much) and its all gone!  ;D good to know they are eating

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal