Author Topic: New book - One Man and his Dig  (Read 2220 times)

Squash63

• Half Acre
    • Walsall Road Allotments
New book - One Man and his Dig
« on: May 02, 2008, 17:08:29 »
I've just finished reading a copy of One Man and his Dig by Valentine Low which was sent to me by the publishers for reviewing.    I loved this book SO much!  It took me back seven years to when I took on my plot and everything was new to me.  (In fact, it could have been ME writing the book - if only I had Valentine's talent for writing!) It made me laugh and smile  and even feel sad a couple of times.  I could identify with so many of the things which happened to him, even to swearing at some bindweed!
I feel so much less of an Anorak now, knowing that I am not the only Allotment Obsessive out there!

(I hope it's OK to post this here, I have no connection with the publishers or with Valentine.  I think the publishers contacted me because they had seen my website.  Not because of any gift I might have for reviewing!)

Betty
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham
www.growit.ik.com

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: New book - One Man and his Dig
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 18:39:07 »
It was mentioned in another thread, so no problem!

Kendy

• Half Acre
  • Little Sutton, nr Ellesmere Port
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 15:29:05 »
Just reading this book.  It is very entertaining and I am inclined to nod in agreement with the author at many points in his narrative !

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 19:43:49 »
I'm also reading this book and so far think it's great, very addictive and find myself reading until 1 am! Are the allotment mentioned still in existence and does anyone have a lottie there?

JJane01

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 20:01:54 »
Magnolia sent me a copy of this book, complete surprise but a lovely one at that.  I read it at a leisurely pace (aka over the course of a week) and really enjoyed every aspect of it.  Humorous, sometimes sad, historical perspective, and easy to imagine rooting through skips for discarded treasures, lots of hints and tips and some recipes too.

I don't have an allotment (yet), but this has further wetted my appetite to start seeking a vacancy or a waiting list.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 12:57:28 »
You might also like "Allotted Time: Two Blokes, One Shed, No Idea" by Robin Shelton

iain j

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 13:10:37 »
You might also like "Allotted Time: Two Blokes, One Shed, No Idea" by Robin Shelton

I have just got that from the libary not had chance to read it though might have a read tonight
Iain j

JJane01

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 13:46:58 »
I'm reading Terry Walton at the moment, and have The Potting Shed Papers too, but will seek out Robin Shelton's to add to my growing collection.

Peasticks

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 13:50:27 »
I am pretty sure he mentions this forum in his book and thats what bought me here!

Its a brilliant funny book and beautifully written  ;D

Kendy

• Half Acre
  • Little Sutton, nr Ellesmere Port
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 14:20:26 »
I am pretty sure he mentions this forum in his book and thats what bought me here!

Its a brilliant funny book and beautifully written  ;D
H

He does, several times.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal