Author Topic: Sage Plants.  (Read 1345 times)

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
Sage Plants.
« on: May 19, 2009, 14:43:35 »
Last year I grew some sage plants from seed. This year they have gone absolutely wild and made terrific growth. However they all seem to be in flower. Should I remove the flowers?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Sage Plants.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 15:35:13 »
So are mine... I don't bother as I have another 24 for the plant sale... it can help keep them compact.. I like the flower  :)

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 15:56:29 »
Saddad I must admit I am quite looking forward to seeing the flowers when they fully emerge, and they will probably keep the bees happy anyway. Should I be picking the leaves now for drying? I want to try drying them in the microwave.

gardening jan

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 22:43:26 »
How do you dry sage leaves in the microwave?

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 23:23:38 »
Drying Herbs With a Microwave

Wash herbs well, pat dry and lay aside for an hour. You want to make sure there is no moisture on them before heating.
Place herbs in a single layer on a paper towel, cover with another paper towel. Place in microwave and heat for 2 minutes on high. Turn paper towel and microwave for another 1 minute or reheat in 30 second intervals until herbs are dry and brittle.
Pack herbs in ziploc bags (remove all air) or airtight containers and store in a dark, dry place. Use as needed.
Can be used for up to one year.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 23:37:10 »
Pick them when you want... if you cut back, and loose the flowers that gives you lots of leaves to dry. I know herbs are supposed to be better before they flower but with sage I can never tell the difference.  :-[

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal