Author Topic: Bleeding grape vine  (Read 1914 times)

kingston boy

• Quarter Acre
Bleeding grape vine
« on: March 21, 2009, 08:26:05 »

Morning all, i am trying to rescue a grape vine that grows in a small copse behind my shed. Last Dec i managed to untangle the very long vine from the trees and kept a long trailer to grow over my shed. But! i now have a problem. I asked a friend to drop off a half roll of fencing, which he did. Being an awkward delivery he dropped it on my vine. While inspecting the damage i noticed that the roll had partially squashed the vine and made it bleed.Can anyone tell me if i should cut the vine at the bruise or leave it. I know nothing about grapes.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Bleeding grape vine
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 15:33:50 »
no idea, kb but I'll bump this up to the top so's an expert can tell us  ;D

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 16:15:41 »
  Hi kb  --   no expert,

I take it that the vine is loosing it's life sorce - ie sap ?

Sure that you can get a tape that binds wounds until they heal,  sorry

have no idea what it is called or where to find it, but hopefully someone

on A4A will,     

floss xxx
Hertfordshire,   south east England

Moonbeam65

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 16:28:38 »
Asked a friend about your grape vine and he said to tie a clear poly bag round where it is bleeding so that it bleeds into the bag and leave it like that and it will heal itself as it will draw back in what has come out.
I personally know nothing about vines but he has had his for over twenty years and it still gives him a good crop and has been damaged several times over the years.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 18:40:22 »
If you cut it off now the sap's rising it would probably bleed even more. They're pretty resilient so don't worry too much.

kingston boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 07:15:55 »
Thanks to you all for your input. I'll do as suggested and leave it to see what happens.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 08:38:18 »
We grow a grapevine on a south facing wall and cut it back hard in Feb. Even so we have to seal the ends with "prune & seal" otherwise it does bleed a lot of sap.

Even though its cut back to the main stem each year, and leave just two laterals, as per our pruning book instructions to encourage fruiting, it puts on enough growth to cover a 25ft wide by 10ft high wall. You may find if you prune it back it hard next year it does better.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal