Author Topic: Chitting  (Read 2116 times)

Digitalis

• Acre
Chitting
« on: March 19, 2009, 18:26:41 »
What else can I use to chit seed potatoes? I don't eat eggs!

Thanks!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re: Chitting
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 18:36:09 »
Doy you have any spare seed trays? Lay them out rose end up in one of those (if you can). Use newspaper to keep them upright if they fall about too much.

If not seed trays then I suppose any shallow tray you buy food from the supermarket in, washed and used in the same way as seed trays.

I hope this helps. cant say i have experience of anything other than egg boxes for potato chitting. Could you not ask a friend or neighbour if they have any spare egg boxes as they do seem to be the best thing for the job.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 19:38:03 »
You don't have to eat eggs, just know someone else who does.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 19:46:04 »
Strange how an idea catches on  :)

I have never used egg trays don't eat enough eggs I suppose, nor do I use loo rolls......nuff said   8)

This is my way  ;)  http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Potato%20chitting/Potato%20chitting.htm

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 20:49:46 »
Some of mine are chitting in a shallow cake tin

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 21:22:45 »
Just lay them out in any kind of tray, they'll be fine. I think we worry a bit too much about these things but plants generally just get on with growing regardless of what we do to or about them!

Pink Fingers

• Quarter Acre
  • That's the pot planted, now for the veg ...
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 22:41:20 »
I got my egg trays from the very nice man in the market - hold a couple of dozen each. 

Incidentally I was reading an ancient gardening book today and it said that although it is advisable to chit early varieties, there is no need to bother chitting main crop as they are in the ground for a long time?

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 15:21:18 »
I've just opened the Maris Piper seeds spuds, and they already have stems of about 2 inches long. Does this mean that I don't need to chit them?

I have 10 seed spuds. How many actual potatoes will this create?

SPUDLY

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 19:14:06 »
Your maris piper already have shoots on them. This is what the term chitting means. Some people dont chit potatoes, most do, it just gives them a good start before you put them in the ground. If the shoots are two inchs long they are ready to go in the ground. As for the amount you get off each plant. A guess would be about between ten and fifteen from an early potato prob less from a main. If you are planing on feeding a family, think you should go for more than ten seed spuds, my guess is about thirty if you have the space. When they have grown cut off all the green growth above the soil to help keep blight at bay. Or lift all the spuds and store in paper sacks in a frost free dark, cool shed.

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 18:27:16 »
Is this an acceptable box to chit spuds:
Hunter potatoes chitting:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 18:30:21 »
There is no need to seperate each potato, I only seperate different varieties as seen here;

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal