Author Topic: Sowing Peppadews  (Read 1674 times)

rutters

• Half Acre
Sowing Peppadews
« on: March 18, 2009, 22:02:48 »
Hello,

having managed to get my hands on a couple of these precious seeds I was wondering how to sow them to give them the best start in life..any tips?

cheers
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
Re: Sowing Peppadews
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 09:04:41 »
I planted mine in a heated propogrator, 100% germination in about a week!  I am already dreaming of stuffing the little darlings with cheese!!!

Hope yours do as well as mine are doing .....

Teej

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 09:14:51 »
Hi - what type of seeds are they?  I've done some research on this & there are quite a few "peppadew-type" seeds available to buy so I was just wondering which are the most similar.
Thanks very much.
T.

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 10:55:03 »
Mine were home saved ones that I got from a swap on this site ......

Mowhay

• Quarter Acre
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 11:50:35 »
OK you've got my attention what are they and where can we get the seeds ? Pleeeease  ;D

Mowhay

• Quarter Acre
  • Durham
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 12:33:25 »
Right I've "googled" and found they are a type of pepper but couldn't find anyone selling seeds ?

Teej

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 14:05:32 »
Apparently the "real" ones are trademarked - I've managed to find various similar ones (I think!) called variations of Red Cherry, Ciliegia Piccante, Peperoncino etc etc.

I just wondered which seeds others had used so that I didn't buy something completely wrong!

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 15:15:25 »
Apparently the "real" ones are trademarked - I've managed to find various similar ones (I think!) called variations of Red Cherry, Ciliegia Piccante, Peperoncino etc etc.

I just wondered which seeds others had used so that I didn't buy something completely wrong!

None of the varieties you mention are particularly like PeppadewTM are supposed to be; although the first two are a similar shape they are both hot without much/any sweetness (Ciliega Piccante's other name is Satan's Kiss but they get milder with cooking) and I don't think that Peperoncino is an actual variety of pepper, more a  general term meaning "little pepper". In contrast Peppadew are meant to be sweet but still have some heat to them.

I've never actually tried one but would guess it's like a Mini Red Bell with some heat.

PS Some people use the term pepperdew to avoid the TM issue

Teej

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 15:36:02 »
Oh right, thanks for that!  Saved me buying the wrong thing then - I was just going by what others had said on t'internet & which peppers looked like they'd do the trick.
Think I'll have to give up then - I've probably got too many others planted anyway!
Sorry for the wrong info Mowhay. :-[

Mowhay

• Quarter Acre
  • Durham
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 15:51:23 »
Teej, don't worry that's not a problem, shame we couldn't find some seeds but as usual "the greenhouse is full" so in a way it's better we failed.  :)

Teej

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 19:13:10 »
Gives us a year to find some for next time! ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal