Author Topic: Farndale daffodils  (Read 1778 times)

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
Farndale daffodils
« on: March 26, 2009, 15:15:07 »
Just to please a poor ex-pat, has anyone been to see Farndale's daffodils yet this year?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Farndale daffodils
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 19:07:45 »
Bump... no but might go have alook...

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 10:10:24 »
Thought about itlast weekend but then decided going mid-week might be quieter. Have been wanting to go for 20 years and never been yet! The website said there was a good show last weekend.

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 19:42:07 »
Ahh thanks Caroline.  I know they are always later then normal daffs (last year we popped over too soon and never got round to going again)  we might pop over this Saturday, late pm/early eve.  Wonderful location.  Mid week would be a lot quieter (thogh prob still busy)  the easiest walk is from Low Mill to Church Houses.  on the route near Church Houses there's a lovely little cafe (though again often packed!) at a farmhouse.  I notice on the website it states the routes now been fully paved for its length - which is good, becasue last year some of the fields were a quagmire with people slipping down the slopes!  If you wish to do a longer walk, an OS map will show some lovely extensions (or look on the web).  A walk towards Low Mill from Lowna is a delight and a lot quieter though a map is essential.

Best place to park is Hutton le Hole and get the "Daffy Bus".  If you *have* to drive, there is a very small car park at Low Mill, but its so small most cars end up parking on nearby roads, sometimes causing problems.  Don't even try and drive to Church Houses in Daffy time. Bear in mind over popular weekends many thousands of people congregate there... a small car park holding a handful of cars (till they open a field) is not enough! hence the bus

Daffy time is not the only time - the snowdrops are wonderful too (I found out when i went one year too early in a later Spring!)

For those who do not know - google farndale daffodils and you'll see loads of photos.  It attracts far too many people and its a river valley full of millions of wild small naturalised daffodils... The jury is out on how they got there...

mat

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal