Author Topic: Loo rolls  (Read 1492 times)

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
Loo rolls
« on: March 28, 2009, 08:33:26 »
Hello, has anyone planted in loo rolls before? I have a few things hopefully getting ahead in them but I'm now worried about whether the loo roll will decompose quick enough in the soil??? ???

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
Re: Loo rolls
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 09:02:44 »
Hello Reddy,  :D
                            Don`t worry about them rotting away, once they are in the soil they rot fairly quickly. Make sure you bury them completely, if you leave a bit showing above ground, them pesky pigeons >:( may try to pull them out, I speak from past experience ::) I use them for parsnips & beans. If you do a seach on this site you will find lots of threads & comments on their use.

Adrian.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 09:20:42 »
They were warning on GQT yesterday that if the weather is dry, and the loo roll dries out in the ground, the roots can't get through it.

Agree you have to bury them completely, as anything above ground dries out (if the birds don't get it) and causes problems for the plant.

I've used them a lot, and they tend to grow mould, but it doesn't seem to matter.

I've gone over to newspaper tubes (no base) because I haven't got enough loo rolls, and they take seconds to make (roll newspaper into a tube round something else, staple edges down, cut off long or short lengths, stapleing as you go). I don't know why people go to the trouble to make bases for newspaper pots - I sit them in a plastic tub (free), fill them with compost, and by the time they are full of roots nothing is going to fall out of the bottom if you handle them carefully at planting time.

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 16:06:15 »
Thanks for the tips, I have many loo rolls as have two children...! :)

SPUDLY

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 16:30:21 »
Loo rolls are fine. I plant most of my veg in them and have no problems. You do get mould growing on the outside of them but it wont affect the crops. As for them breaking down mine fall apart before they touch the ground. If they remain in one piece just rip down one side. To get more loo rolls cut them in two and plant a seed in each half, its ideal for starting crops off before you plant them out.

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 17:57:13 »
Would it be alright to use thick cardboard tubes that material is wrapped around or is that too thick. I can get an unlimited supply if I need them?

SPUDLY

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 19:19:44 »
If its the type of tube i think you mean (5mm or more rim thickness) then no, its far to thick. Best to stick to loo rolls or paper pots.

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 13:18:38 »
Thank you  for reply, yes, they are very thick so as advised I won't use them. Any other use for them?

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 19:30:48 »
if they are a foot + long could you use them to blanch leeks if you're growing them.

runnerbean

• Not So New ...
  • Bean's been runnin!
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 19:39:07 »
great for broad beans, if I could post a picture of my Devon beans I would , but would, or could they be better than ..TGG or plainleaf?

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 21:21:19 »
Thank you, I may give leek blanching a try. My broad beans are already in so can't use them for that this year.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 08:50:14 »
This is such a timely thread, heard the GQT bit about them drying out, so went and had a look at the broadies planted in them and as I hadn't covered all of them completely they had dried out. I just dug 'em up and replanted a bit deeper  :D.
I guess it doesn't really matter if you plant the whole thing or not as the cardboard would go into the compost anyway, so will get broken down and used elsewhere. What I presume is that with plants that don't like root disturbance it makes more sense to plant the whole thing, loo roll included, and from what I've read on here  8) I'll do this with my sweetcorn  :)

beckydore

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 09:37:27 »
I did this last year with my sweetcorn and peas. Started them off at home in them. Made it really easy to split them to plant and I think they all survived! I have dug over those patches and no sign of loo rolls left.
Last year everywhere I went people seemed to be giving me carrier bags of the tubes. There were bags full in the shed but I made a big dent in them last weekend starting off my peas.

I also use those compost pots but think I will stop buying them and just use loo rolls.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal